Coyote hunting scope question

Nosler26

Hello, a Newby here with some questions for the experts.
I am a coyote hunter from WI who hunts in a few different states including the west. A few months ago I decided I was going to build a custom rifle for this application of Predator hunting. My Rifle is in the build process now but I am confused as all get out over optics. I have been doing much research talking to anyone who I thought would know as well as watching the endless youtube video's out there trying to decide on a scope for this rifle. I have been following some of the threads on this site for some time and some of you guy's seem to really have it together. So I am wondering, For hunting coyotes per running dog's and calling, a lot of walking, and shooting out to a reasonable distance (6-700 yds) what would you guy's recommend?
Been looking at Huskemaw, Nightforce SHV, Steiner, Vortex etc... my price range is about 1,000 to 1,500 for a scope. Been a leupold guy my entire life but have concern's with some of the recent scope's I have purchased and want to try something else. Any help you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks.

There are a lot of excellent scopes available in your price range. I think the best thing to do is to decide the magnification range you desire and the type of reticule you want. Once you decide that then the rest really depends on a scope that offers that at the best price. Personally I read reviews and test results on scopes. Sometimes you can get as much or more scope for less money than higher priced models.

Lets hear more about your custom build first. Curious what caliber choice as well as weight limits if there are any. Thanks and welcome to the site.

The action is a Borden Alpine. Barrel is a broughton Sendero contour, stock is a McMillan, trigger is a Jewell.
Mr.Borden will be installing the barrel as soon as the action has been completed. Caliber is 243.

I have 4.5-14X on my light rifles and 6.5-20X on the heavy barreled rifles. When calling I use the 4.5X for those that come out of nowhere and show up at 30 feet, if they hang up I have the time to crank it up to 14X and 14X is more then enough to take a coyote at 600 as I have done it. Haven't had the opportunity to try one at 700 yards - yet. :) As for the brands you mention, sorry can't help, I use Leupolds. By the way my longest coyote to date was taken with my 243 heavy barrel, 1 in 7 twist, Berger 115 VLD hunting at 1,230 yards

I'm new here also and also a coyote hunter from Wisconsin. I would recommend a scope with an illuminated reticle I've missed alot of dogs because you lose your crosshair during low light, the best time to hunt coyotes is first and last light and full moons with snow cover. My main coyote gun is a dpms LR243 and im looking hard at putting a Lupold VX-6 3x18x50 with the fire dot duplex with the CDS. My second gun for coyotes is a dpms 223 with a 2.5x10x50 votex crossfire with the v-bright reticle that I use primarily now because I like the illuminated dot so much.

I no longer like duplex reticles. I like reticles with marked increments (hash marks). For me I prefer a hash mark over a mil dot. My scopes are 4-16x50 and 6-24x50 Vortex Viper PST both FFP so 2 min on the reticle is 2 min, provided I have enough magnification to see it. My budget did not extend to the top line scopes that you listed.

Usually I do not have a lot of time for a shot so about the best I can do is dial up the magnification and focus on the essentials. Having a reticle that works at any magnification for elevation and windage holdover (or for holding a lead) is very useful to me.

I usually adjust my rifle scope to have the same field of view as my binoculars. If I am anticipating the coyote to show up at a particular range, I will have the elevation dialed up to match. One just has to remember where you are if you get surprised and it pops up somewhere else.

Last edited:
For coyote hunting out to 1000+ yards I use the same rifle/scope that I use for deer/antelope. It's a Cooper 6.5-284 with a 5x20 Huskemaw. Taken coyotes out to 1100 yards, prarie dogs to 900 yards. At 10.5 pounds it's a stable long-range platform but manageble enough to be carried all day. Been using Huskemaws for about five years with excellent results. Nice glass, very precise turret adjustments, rugged, and not as bulky as my Nightforce scopes.

Man, with all of the negative stuff I read about vortex.......I don't think I could bring myself to purchase one. Pretty well set on the Huskemaw or Nightforce. I like the Steiner ffp Military cuz you can find great deals on them but I fear the cross hairs are to heavy for yote hunting.
Anybody ever use a The Steiner Military scopes for hunting?

Sounds like a "winner of a rifle" being built. Congrats and perfect caliber choice as far as I'm concerned.

I have been using SWFA scopes for most of my rigs. I have shot a few with my 243 at 500-700 yard ranges using the SS HD 3-9x42. Not saying its easy with 9x. SWFA 3-15 is a great scope as well. Just didnt care for the top end much. The 5-20x50 is a winner though! I sold my Nightforce NXS 3-15x50 for it and would do it again without hesitation.

Let us know what you come up with.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.