Coyote Hunting Predatorial Series #2 "Calls of the Wild" By Greg Ballard

Very good articles I am actually thinking about getting into coyote hunting myself. I didnt have the faintest idea of where to start and now I at least know what kind of call to get and your preditorial 3 (great name BTW) confermed my research on the .243 round but you mentioned looking up the sounds of prey in distress and start mimicing the sounds...where could i find those sounds? are there any internet sites that i could listen to them and then mess around with the closed reed call trying to nail those sounds? Basically any advice on anything coyote hunting related would be great like what to look for in a stand, how to know if there are coyotes in the area (plains in CO) ect.

Thanks so much i look forward to reading any other articles you write on the subject:D

Sean

Greg, Another enjoyable read! Thanks.
How's the hunting been going for you?
Did you get a chance to head to Lubbock yet?
Bart
Nikon Pro staff

I didn't read your article but the first couple of para's. I hunt in an area that my calling doesn't work. Potholes are full of pheasants , field mice , voles , rabbits. They live in a grocery store so why should they shop a 100 yds away ? They are not hungry. The food factor does not always work. Calling only tells them you are there. I have a adapted a passive coyote hunting tactic , sit , watch , wait. Territorial calling( Jan, Feb.) can have some results.:rolleyes:

The same is true here where I hunt. We have enormous amounts of voles, mice, rabbits, squirrels, turkeys, small pets like cats and dogs, fruits, cattle, deer, fish, etc etc. The coyotes here are definitely not starving either. On a stand a couple years back I called in a large male coyote that responded to the call from our rear side and I ended up shooting him at 30 yards with an AR15. The crazy thing was that this coyote was carrying half a rabbit in his mouth at the time of his death. It isn't always about the needing of the meal but the wanting of the meal. You can feed a kid to the point of being sick and then offer them a piece of candy and they will take it most every time.

Trust me, I know that there are times when you don't call in a coyote on a stand. I have been doing this an awful long time and have seen some crazy stuff. Last year we saw a coyote at about 400 yards mousing in the same field that we were going to call to. We snuck over and set up and I turned on our electronic caller to a bunny in distress and the coyote didn't even look our way. I upped the volume to high and it still wouldn't even look our way. I switched to a different bunny in distress with the same results. I was beginning to think the coyote was deaf. Then I thought, hey this coyote is mousing in the field so why not give him the sounds of what he is looking for so I turn on the caller to the vole sound. The coyote turned and ran as hard as it could straight at us and covered the 400 yards in just seconds. It was at the 50 yard mark before we could even get the thing to stop by woofing at it.

Keep after them and don't be afraid to change gears. To me coyote hunting is an active thing and the calling is the primary reason that I am going. If I am not going to call in the coyotes and get to travel around and hunt in different places during the day then I would choose to not hunt them with the possible exception of sitting up to intentionally take a very long range shot. Just my personality, I guess.

Greg

Last edited:
I use a fox pro 16 ( 12 coyote) with little results. I have driven roads littered with coyot scatt and tracks. Tried at nite moon - ditto. I am interested in a new sound - directional- snowmobile that keeps getting loader as it is coming at the coyote . This would flush the the coyote(s) from there hidding places. Keep in mind , most states it is illegal to harass wild life with an ATV . ? So, one walks to a pothole, turns on the snowmobile and turns up the volume . Coyot panics and runs. Was the law broken? Mortor recon could work too. lightbulb

I've heard guys say they wanted te sound of a tractor for when they walk to a blind deer hunting too. Whatever works!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.