Coyote Hunting, A Predatorial Series #1 - "Basic Behavior" By Greg Ballard

Coyotes vs Huskies

This is the thread for discussion of the article: Coyote Hunting, A Predatorial Series - "Basic Behavior" By Greg Ballard

Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article. The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so he can join the discussion.
Greg, I live in a very rural environment in the very northeastern corner of Washington State, about half way between Spokane and the Canadian Border. We do have our share of coyotes but from my experience with them, up here, I question the size of the range that you've estimated. I have no way by which I can present any sort of a valid study to confirm my estimate of the territory they cover but it certainly appears to be from 15 to 30 square miles.

Last Fall and early winter a pack of, at least, 5 coyotes (we've observed and counted them all appearing together) lived or make their headquarters at the bottom of one of our pastures. The range from our south facing kitchen window to the far tree line (measured with my laser range finder) is 286 yards. That tree line is as near to the house as I've ever observed them. At that distance they obviously felt perfectly secure because, on several occasions, they came out of the timber, on to the pasture a few yards, then sit/lie and watch us. Some times their people-watching would last for 45 min to an hour. The only exception to this was one that I called in to about 125 yds. I fired at it (He? She?) with my 7.62. But I was so startled at the results of my calling that I nearly forgot how to fire the rifle and the shot went somewhere 'as yet undetermined'.

Thus far this Spring (05 June) they have yet to make their seasonal debut. There are probably 3 reasons for their tardiness: #1. They have plenty of fodder down in the valley, about 8oo feet below our elevation; #2. I've mounted a scope on my 7.62; #3. I've had a Spokane Gunsmith cobble up a 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum with a Nikon Monarch X.

So they may all be in Oklahoma by this time.

Last edited:
I think that the ranges of the coyotes will be in direct line with the numbers of coyotes in the area. If you have a higher number of coyotes then the ranges will shrink as they are territorial. I stated that the ranges for the male coyotes can be as high as 40 miles. Of course this is all estimated based on others studies. When the numbers get high then the coyotes will also move to stake out their own territories elsewhere and this is why they will soon be everywhere if not already. Your coyotes are likely still in your area if things haven't changed to affect their food and shelter. Hey, One of the members of our predator hunting association is actually from Washington State and is an accomplished predator call maker. If you contact me privately then I will give you a contact info for him.

Good article, how about a podcast too?

Greg,

Great article concerning coyote hunting. Previously, I could not get into hunting predators for sport. However, we have a continued drought in the southwest. I have seen increasing pressures from all sides upon my game of choice - Mulies, rabbits and game birds.

Through a fair amount of research and personal observation I have decided it is time to become involved with predator management. I can't change the weather, stop wildfires, or "will" habitat to sustain game animals. But I can do my part to manage predator control.

I think a good addition to your series would be podcasts in mp3 format. An "on location" podcast during the hunt would be especially well received. I look forward to reading your next article on Hunting Coyotes.

Luke

Excellant idea Luke, I plan on doing something to this effect this fall when my series gets into the actual hunting of the coyotes and I will put the techniques to the test for all to see. I will have to learn about the podcast and all it entails to see if that is the option to do. It would be interesting to at least get to watch a video of sorts that I could show the setups that I will talk about in the articles and then the actual calling of the coyotes using those exact setups.

Greg

Example of Podcast idea

I am a suscriber to another community called Nikonians.org it is all about photography. They have many good examples of "on Location' podcasts. Here is a link to one of my favorites.

Nikonians News - Photography & Imaging News and Podcasts: The Nikonians On Location #15

Just an example to give you an idea. Even if you do not have time to podcast I am still looking forward to your reports. I have a wounded rabbit "blow" call and will be calling and Predator hunting while scouting for the fall season hunt.

Luke

Luke

Can you show me a link to how the Nikonians are producing the podcasts, what software for example.

Podcast Format

Len,

I do not know what program Nikonians is using to produce Podcasts. I will send a question as a Nikonian Member in the Morning. It is a standard Mp3 format when I download the programs for listening. If you decide to podcast make sure you get a good microphone for good sound quality.

Just making the suggestion has gotten my wheels rolling. I will be High Country scouting this year in the Ruby mountains of Nevada. I have a 5 man team - group hunting for Nevada Mule Deer this year. I will also be photographing during scouting and hunting. I hope to compile some good presentations, perhaps including a podcast also.

There is another site called PodcastAlley.com -- The place to find Podcasts Those guys have an entire section dedicated to podcasting at the top of the home page.

You can send a question to Nikonians at the Nikonians Contact page. Visit: Get in touch with Nikonians

Let me know if you get good info and I will do the same for you.

Luke

In your Nikonians linked example, I thought the voice narrated slide show podcast was pretty darn neat. I wonder how they do that? Do you know?

That concept may be better than video for a lot of things. With video there's a lot a dead or unproductive time on a snippet even with quite a bit of editing. Especially for a skilled photographer.

Podcast

Len,

Yes, there are several slideshow programs that will compile photos and sound. One such program is Muvee - muvee - movie making just got easier. Use photos and video to tell your story Higher quality programs will allow you to create your own sound track and sync. your photos with your choice of timing.

I think we should move this subject onto Long Range Hunting Video Library. This thread has been unintentionally hijacked and I now see very few Coyotes lurking around here. My apologies.

Now, back on track - onto the Coyote Hunting author:

Greg,

As I had stated, your article is well written with lots of good info. I am going to be coyote hunting during this summer before Deer season. I am in the southwest and the hunt area will be around mountains with ranches and farms in the valleys. What type of habitat have you had the best coyote hunting experiences with and have you seen any areas that coyotes may normally avoid. That will help me choose productive areas to hunt this summer.

Luke

Last edited:
Without having hunted in your area, I would still have to say that your best hunting will be found near to the farms that you mention in the valleys. It is a matter of a readily available and easily obtainable food source that has adequate shelter. Thinking more in terms of the habitat for the food sources will get you far. What is good for the food source is good for the coyote. Also, where you find livestock, you will find coyotes. I will be covering all of these things in future articles as we step more into the actual setups and hunting. So without giving away future articles, feel free to PM or email me with specific questions outside of what has already been written since you will be starting to hunt before those articles come out. I was trying to time them to build from basics into the actual hunting where the typical coyote hunting periods are from December through March.

Greg

Great Post

Greg,

Great post!! I have been after alot of the coyotes in our area, i have found several dens but it is just not the same taking them out from the den when you can call them and basically fool their natural instincts with calls and excetera.

I have been using alot of primos calls and it is amazing to me how well good ole Randy Anderson does with all the Kiyi calls and the Howls. I myself have got the coyotes to answer but i cannot get them to come to the Howls nearly as much as i can get them to come in to distress calls.
Right now the Fawns are out and about and i have been having really good luck with the fawn in distress call as well as Pup in distress.

Seems like you know a tremendous amount more then i do about this subject, let me ask you this if you had to run out the door with one call only what would it be and why?
Ken

I would run out the door with one of my custom open reed calls. I can make just about any sounds you care to make from pups in distress to KiYis to howls to birds and various types of rabbits. I can squeak like mice and rodents and do fawn in distress like you mentioned in your reply. I don't have to rely on batteries nor tapes nor carrying a lot of equipment. The open reed call doesn't freeze up very easily so I can call in any weather. All in all, it is the perfect call.

There really is a difference too in the tonal qualities of a well made and tuned custom call like I show in the second Predatorial. A guy like Arky puts their heart and soul into getting just the right sounds out of the call, and then with a bit of practice you can make some very good sounds that work as well as the best of the electronic calls and the plus side of that is that you get to be the guy who produced the sounds with your own breath. That just adds to to overall experience.

Don't get me wrong, electronic calls have their place and are very very effective and I own one of the best electronic calls on earth and use it often, but if I had to run out the door with just one call then I would grab a lanyard with one of ArkyYoters calls on it and never think twice about that decision. When I compete this August at the World Predator Calling Competition, I will be using that very call that is in the picture in the article plus a couple others.

Greg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.