Coyote Hangup.

8404Vet

Went out yesterday to call in some dogs. Roswell had just received a light sprinkle of snow and I figured it would be an active dog day. The bummer was the wind was blowing even at sunup which made for some really cold conditions. My first spot is one that has been successful numerous times, except this time all four dogs which came to my call were downwind. At around 200 yards right about my liking for that kind of gail gusty wind they smelled me and took off. That proved to be my kind of day. Total of 7 dogs called in throughout the day from sun up to 1300 and zero kills, all dogs ended up downwind.

Every day isn't your birthday.

Chris

Sound like plenty of dogs available.:D

We've all, that have tried, been there and done that.:(

I try to have a buddy with me and set him about 100 yds down wind. He usually gets the shot....or

Set an electronic caller about 100 yds down wind, they'll circle that and you'll get a bit of a longer shot or

Get a 270 AM, as I did, and do some serious glassing for 20 minutes and snipe 'em way out there if you see 'em. After the glassing, one bleat on the call will get things moving. Don't give 'em enough to get your specific location, just one bleat. Glass for movement. Range, click, bang, flop. Yeah, right....once in a while.

chris i was in my tree stand yesterday at the ranch and had 9 yotes come to the tank to drink did'nt shoot was hoping a buck would show up since the rut is starting down here

Redbone,

That day I was using a 243 winchester. I go hunting with a variety of calibers to include 17hmr, 204 (mostly), 243, 7rm mg with 100gn smokers, 10/22, 50 cal muzzle loader, and bow and arrow.

I haven't nailed one with my bow yet but my goal is to before the end of the winter season.

Roger, I don't think I could wait for a big buck (actually I know I would) but I love to blast coyotes. It would be a close call which one I would rather nail....

If I was using my 7 mag I would have nailed a dog on that day, prob more than one, but I haven't put in too much time with my 243 because it was my grandpa's and I don't like to shoot it too often. Therefore im not confident to shoot it with 25mph winds unless close.

As far as dog population..... We have quite a few around here.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.