Coyote Gun

mrb1982

I am thinking about buying a dedicated coyote rig. I am looking for some input one what works best for you guys who are more avid predator/varminter hunters. I am thinking 22-250 or 243. Do you guys like the heavier barrel or something lighter.

For a little insight, it will be either calling circumstances, or if I see something from the pickup while running around the ranch. I shoot a Sendero for a hunting rifle, so carrying a heavy rifle over distance isn't a problem for me.

I am wondering if it is difficult to swing a heavy barreled rifle on a moving yote? If, in people experience, it isn't a problem, I'd like to stick with a heavy barreled gun.

I have a Ruger mini-14 223 with peep sights. I would use it more for yotes but they are inherently kinda inaccurate and I would like to have a scope and there isn't a lot of great systems for mounting scopes on one like mine.

So anybody with any advice on gun styles or calibers, let me know. Thanks.

In my opinion, either is a good choice. I shoot both, more direct knockdown with the .243, but I still lean towards the 22-250. If you're just shooting, and not keeping the hides, I'd stick with a .243. A Remington vssr would be a good bet. Since I hump and call alot, I like a lighter rifle, and put an Aimpoint Micro t-1 on the side for those close up 100 meter or less shots, and a Bushnell Elite with a Horus reticle on the top side.

I know what you are saying about the 243 with a little extra knock down. I really like heavy barreled rifles, hence my Sendero for deer/anything else hunting purposes. I am thinking a standard barreled 22-250 would be good for yotes, main reason being when you are swinging on one of those things on the run, the heavy guns seem to be harder to handle. My sendero with the bipods, it's like I can't miss. Shoot off hand with it, it's a different rifle. It's just built differently for different purposes. I am a Remington man(I know there are other good options too, but just prefer the feel of a remington), so I am kinda leaning towards something like a Remington 22-250 SPS. I can always upgrade the stock on it. Then I could outfit it with a bipod so that I would be good and solid in a sit and call situation, but be able to handle the gun well on a running dog here and there.

The one thing that keeps me going back to thinking about the 243 is that I have young kids that in the next few years will be ready to start hunting a little. In one of the states where I do most of my hunting, a 243 is the minimum caliber. If I bought a 243, I could kinda justify it with "dual use" in the future. Then I always thing, well, I would probably need to start them out on a youth style rifle more anyways. If anybody has any opinion they would like to add to this topic as far as experience getting their children started(after learning with a 22 of course), it would be much appreciated.

243 is my go to rifle for most coyote calling. Do use the 204 and 223 on occasion. Did the 22-250, 220 swift over the years and finally settled on the 243. Will be replacing my main 243 this year with either the Howa Ranch or Axiom. Really like the feel of the Axiom. But the 204 I have in the Ranch is one sweat handling rifle.

243 is my go to rifle for most coyote calling. Do use the 204 and 223 on occasion. Did the 22-250, 220 swift over the years and finally settled on the 243. Will be replacing my main 243 this year with either the Howa Ranch or Axiom. Really like the feel of the Axiom. But the 204 I have in the Ranch is one sweat handling rifle.

So maybe this brings on another conversation, but here I go.

If I want to shoot some of the lighter 243 stuff, like 60gr stuff, is there any real advantage over a 22-250? Seems about same or less velocity and knock down power would be the same. Seems to benefit from the extra knock down, I would have to shoot that 70-80gr stuff. I think if I were going to do that, I would find a good higher bc bullet and just shoot one for everything.

Also, I have a 270 at home that I don't use much since I shoot my Sendero for hunting. I have thought about shooting some 90-100gr stuff out of that for a yote slayer. Kinda seems like maybe gettinga 243 and shooting a little heavier bullet would be a little redundant??? This kinda ends up the reason I lean toward the 22-250. Who knows. I have been known to entirely over analyze things like this. hahaha

So maybe this brings on another conversation, but here I go.

If I want to shoot some of the lighter 243 stuff, like 60gr stuff, is there any real advantage over a 22-250? Seems about same or less velocity and knock down power would be the same. Seems to benefit from the extra knock down, I would have to shoot that 70-80gr stuff. I think if I were going to do that, I would find a good higher bc bullet and just shoot one for everything.

Also, I have a 270 at home that I don't use much since I shoot my Sendero for hunting. I have thought about shooting some 90-100gr stuff out of that for a yote slayer. Kinda seems like maybe gettinga 243 and shooting a little heavier bullet would be a little redundant??? This kinda ends up the reason I lean toward the 22-250. Who knows. I have been known to entirely over analyze things like this. hahaha

I have a 22-250 and a 243. A 243 will shoot a 55gr bullet at 4000fps with a max load and a 22-250 will shoot the same bullet at about 3700 with a max load. You will have a bettet BC with a .22 cal bullet but I don't think It makes up for the speed of a .243. Just my 2 cents.....gun)

Seems to me it mainly depends on what kind of range you want. If you are gonna stop at 300 or a little more, maybe the 250 is the way to go. If you are gonna try to stretch it out to 4, 5, 600 maybe, depending on the bullet and load of course, then maybe the 243 is the way to go.

I have shot a 22-250, but haven't shot a 243 for a long time. Is there a lot of recoil difference between the two?

Either caliber would be great for coyotes. If you are planning on a dual purpose rifle, the .243 is definitely the way to go. You might want to make sure you get the right twist for the bullet weights you want to shoot. Since you like Remingtons and are thinking about your kids, look at the Model 7 Predator. If you might not be that picky, look at the Savage model 10 Predator. Both guns are full camo and have a little beefier barrel than a standard hunting rifle but both are fluted to reduce some of the weight. The Savage has the accutrigger and is offered in different twist rates. I am not sure if the Remington is offered in different twist rates.
Just my 2 cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.