Coyote gun scope?

scsbronco

Any recommendations?

50 to 450yards with illuminated reticle. Something that is great at gathering light at dusk and dawn. Going on a bolt 223 and an AR. Lighter weight would be a plus. Under 850$. Open to new suggestions.

I have been looking for the same type scope for an AR. My budget is the $300 range and so far the Athlon Talos 4x14 BTR is the leader. Hard to find a good mil reticle scope with IR and not 30+oz in my budget. Hopefully you will have more choices with the more than double budget.

Any recommendations?

50 to 450yards with illuminated reticle. Something that is great at gathering light at dusk and dawn. Going on a bolt 223 and an AR. Lighter weight would be a plus. Under 850$. Open to new suggestions.
Leupold VX5HD - I have the 3-15x56 on my coyote gun. Its the best coyote scope I have ever owned.

I have been looking for the same type scope for an AR. My budget is the $300 range and so far the Athlon Talos 4x14 BTR is the leader. Hard to find a good mil reticle scope with IR and not 30+oz in my budget. Hopefully you will have more choices with the more than double budget.

At under $300.00 it is a great scope. We also have the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50's on sale for only $269.99, https://cameralandny.com/shop?query=argos BTR

I used a Leupold VXR 3-9x40 for a couple of seasons. I sure do miss the fire dot. If I were to buy another I'd look for the 'metric' version - it has a little wider duplex reticle and turrets in Mils instead of Moa.

You might be able to find a used VX5hd - seen some on the classified for $799. Make sure you get the firedot though!

Edit: I have had Trijicon accupoint/accupowers also, good scopes, but Leupold firedot is my preference

Last edited:
How do you intend to hunt the coyotes? If you are calling, that is a tall order. I would agree with the VX5 suggestion. I have a 2-7 Burris but I am fixing to swtich it with a 1.5-6 Burris. I prefer lower magnifications if I am calling. Ever try to shoot a coyote at 5 yards with a 6X scope? It sucks.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm currently using a NXS 3.5-15x50 on 6.5CM. I need to buy two more scope for 223s. I have a Leupold Mark Ar 3-9 on another gun. I have had VX-R Patrol scopes and would like at least that quality of clarity.

Would a jump to a VX-5hd be a big enough difference to justify to price over a Patrol?

Another scope that interests me is the Bushnell LRTS. Any comparison on that scope vs NXS or VX5 would be appreciated.

How do you intend to hunt the coyotes? If you are calling, that is a tall order. I would agree with the VX5 suggestion. I have a 2-7 Burris but I am fixing to swtich it with a 1.5-6 Burris. I prefer lower magnifications if I am calling. Ever try to shoot a coyote at 5 yards with a 6X scope? It sucks.
Field of view is more important than magnification, IMO. I've killed them on 5 and 6x when they are charging in and really close with scopes that have a wide FOV.

I love my old VariX III 4.5-14X50 on my 25-06 spitting 85gr bt's at 3600.
Not sure the scope's equivalent nowadays but something similar should work well for you

Shotguns work well up close ! Mossbergs semiautomatic with 6 shots is great!4

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts