coyote gun contemplation need help

specter29

so here is my issue currently i run a cz 527 target in 223 for yote. longer ranges past 300 yards is were my problem starts currently i have an AR10 with 24" krieger barrel that does 1/4 moa at 100 yards with the 175 bergers topped with a Burris xtr II 5-25 and now just got a custom Savage 6.5-06 that does the same or better with 140 bergers at 2950fps and Amax's at 2905fps topped with a NXS 5.5-25. do I keep both, sell one, repurpose one?

Can you ever have too many? Sounds to me like you have three great rifles that can serve multiple purposes. If I were to reach in the safe and grab one of those three rifles I bet money I'd grab the 6.5-06 more frequently than the others.

Can you ever have too many? Sounds to me like you have three great rifles that can serve multiple purposes. If I were to reach in the safe and grab one of those three rifles I bet money I'd grab the 6.5-06 more frequently than the others.

I know that what is happening and the 308 just is sitting there staring back at me every time the safe dooor swings open.

Keep the AR. you'll regret getting rid of it. they are the most versatile rifle for coyotes that money can buy. I would think that with good ammo you should be able to stretch it to 500 yards and then load up some 140's out of the 6.5-06 that aren't so fast expanding and top it with a good high power scope and only use it past 500 yards.
I don't think I would use a 308 if I was trying to save fur.

Well a fella cant have too many preditor guns. Love a light weight 223 for a calling rifle, gotta have a fast twist 22-250 for when your trying to bring in call shy yotes that hang up, and a fast 6.5 for spot and shoot way out there. Its a horrible problem trying to decide which one to grab

Owning precision rifles is always fun, but I will throw out my perhaps controversial method of rifle decisions, keeping in mind significant budget and time limitations.

I like to have at least a 2x "difference" in bullet mass and ideally some very significant difference in targeted application to bother owning a rifle, more if possible. It isn't just about the rifle, it is also the infrastructure to support it and really being "intuitive" with it.

There is nearly nothing that your .308 can do (hunting wise) that your other rifles cannot do already, so to me that one is more or less optional. That doesn't mean sell it, it just means it would fall out of being "necessary" or worth really thinking about in how I think about "doubling up."

The next step, IMHO, is to move to something in the .338 size range with flat shooting characteristics, over 3000 fps with high BC bullets. Don't discount bore rider bullets in your thought process.

A .338 like this can really reach out there for a variety of game.

If it were me, I'd be picking up that 6.5-06 most days. Assuming that it's not a TANK, I wouldn't want to carry anything too heavy. You should be able to reach out as far as you want on coyotes with that cartridge. Like previously stated, as long as you're not hurting for money, why change or sell?

If we're just talking coyotes, I'd keep the .223, and the AR. The 6.5-06 I would convert to a high intensity .224 like the Clark, or TTH. Or a 6-284.

Then add a suppressor.

Nothing wrong with a good 6.5-06, especially if it shoots, adding a suppressor to it would make a long range coyote rifle for sure. Provided hides aren't a big deal to you.

Heya! Maybe I'm missing something here?!?! For me, the 223 puts more mutts down than any other cartridge in my safe. It's cheap, crazy accurate, and with the call running, I've never had to shoot more than 375 yards (and that was a fluke... it was a single mutt and it was coming for a long yote challenge... and then my call switched over to a multiple mutt challenge and he backed off 70-80 yards). I usually end up bringing them in within 100. Last weekend every dog that showed up was within 30-100.... and that was 8 dogs on 3 stands.

Honestly... there's nothing wrong with any of the calibers you mentioned, but if you are looking for a flat shooter out to 500.... it's hard to beat a 22-250. I consider the 308 and 6.5 to be a fur destroyers on mutts, at least for me. Get's the job done no doubt... but ****... a bit of over kill.

Pair your 223 with some American Eagle 50 gr Varmint Tips. Out of all the mutts I've killed, every one of them has been DRT (except the 375 yard mutt as I underestimated my kentuky windage and hit him in the groin)... and they are extremely accuarate out of my DPMS Sweet 16 and Savage Hog Hunter. Get .3x moa at 100 out of them which is crazy.... cause they are only like $12.

You've already got a mutt killing cartridge in your arsenol! Put that sucker to use brother!! Good luck!!

I agree with.the 223 !! It works great . Kills good, easy on the wallet.
For long range the 6.5 is the ticket. But.if you want to sell hides, you should load the 144 gr Lapua fmjbt bullet. Or a mono metal solid from GS Custom or Cutting Edge Bullets. Poke a hole thru them without blowing them up. .

As long as a rifle is setting in the safe , it isn't wearing out or the throat being eroded away. It will no doubt increase in value and maybe in 5 years you will have a craze to shoot it ALOT. If you already own it , you don't have to buy or build it all over again.

The 22-250 is the ultimate coyote rifle. Mine is built on a Winchester action & sports a 28" Shilen #6. I shoot 52 A-Maxes with CFE223 & they absolutely scream.
The 25-06 Ackley Improved is another great coyote round. I have skinned hundreds of coyotes shot with the Sierra 100 MK.
Thanks, Kirk

i would take the AR and convert it to 22-250 fast twist shoot 80 gr VLD or 22-243 fast twist and shoot 90 gr pills. that will cover you from close to 1000 yrds easy. I am looking into building one of those right now. If your just hunting coyote with it the 223 is very good I shot one for years an it will reach out there to 500 with the right bullets, I have seen guys shoot repeatable hits on a target at 1 mile with 223. I believe i shot the 77gr berger BTHP.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.