Coyote/Deer dumped in river

roaddog1m

I was in my personal vehicle two days ago at the Little Moreau Park. I was fireforming some cases when I was approached by two women who advised me that there was "A bunch of dead animals under the bridge."
I drove down further into the park and found that some rocket scientist had dumped 13 coyotes and 11 deer into a tributary of the Little Moreau River.

I took several photos.
Dogsandguns006.jpg

Dogsandguns015.jpg

There had been a coyote calling competition down in Dupree, SD. Word is that after finding out that no one was willing to purchase the pelts, guys were just dumping them in piles. There was another dump sight under a bridge in the Cheyenne River Valley.

I'm a life NRA Member and a life long hunter. I also taught hunter safety for five years. Do idiots like this really need a hunting license and weapons? Or do they need crayons and a helmet? If it were up to me, I'd jerk their hunting privileges for life. Idiots like this make the rest of us look like a bunch of hillbillies!

Sooooo, if you are a coyote hunter (as I am) please don't do something like this and cause someone like me to hunt you down and make you pay!!!!

Have a nice day.:D

Since you know were the coyote hunt was it should be easy to find out the info on who was there unless it was in another STATE if so just turn it over to the other states wildlife agency, i'm sure you know all this.

Since you know were the coyote hunt was it should be easy to find out the info on who was there unless it was in another STATE if so just turn it over to the other states wildlife agency, i'm sure you know all this.

Unfortunately, knowing who was there and getting them to admit to committing an EPA violation combined with several game violations is another story. There is also the possibility that it was one of the guys who has been chasing coyotes on a snowmobile and running them over. Waiting to find out more from Game and Fish. We may be able to tell it they were shot or ran over. I think I'll know more tomorrow.
The guys on this site are on the other end of the spectrum from the knuckle heads that did this, but we all know or have known someone who acts this way.

Man, what a bunch of water heads!!! I don't mind the calling comps but they really need to get a handle on what there going to do with carcasses. Get a backhoe and dig a freaking hole or something but don't pile them up where they will be found and where they will cause problems!! Maybe they need a better way to take a count, like have video like some to the deer hunting comps you see on TV.
I have had to dispose of thousands of coyote carcasses and have never made a mess even close to that!!
I send all my deer carcasses to the county dump, cause there are people looking for this stuff to take pics of it.

And you can be sure that it is these same people who throw their beer cans and Big Gulp cups out the window for other people to pick up.

Last Fall I was up in Utah Manti LaSal National Forest walking a 4 Wheel drive road to a lake and got to counting trash which is something I do professionally. Average trash over about a mile of dirt road was one piece per ten feet of road. Probably the most trashed up National Forest I have seen in a long time.

Question -- you said the coyotes were left there by coyote contest hunters. How do you think the deer got there?

no money in furs? there is still a little bit of money in fur. a buddy got rid of some fur a couple of weeks ago for $13 a dog, sold in the round, not put up. There is still a couple of buck left in them.

It really ****es me off to see the want and waste. The deer carcasses could have been thrown in a better spot like a tree grove so the coyotes and birds could chew on them. the coyotes could have been sold. What wasteful dumb asses.

xdeano

Question -- you said the coyotes were left there by coyote contest hunters. How do you think the deer got there?

No, I don't think i said that this is from a calling comp, just that after the competition there were dump piles turning up under bridges. Also, do to the differing amounts of decay, I would have to guess that these space shuttle pilots dumped the un-tagged deer at least a week or more prior to dumping the yotes in the river. Several of the deer were quartered and skinned with out being gutted. Again, there was a dumpster 75yds away from the bridge.

I have another theory too. I have some information that a couple of local guys are running them down on snowmobile. This dump site would be close to where they live. Either way, I hope I catch them and I'll have to take snowmobile, rifles, whatever else I can dream up as evidence until court.
Dogsandguns028.jpg

Tom

no money in furs? there is still a little bit of money in fur. a buddy got rid of some fur a couple of weeks ago for $13 a dog, sold in the round, not put up. There is still a couple of buck left in them.

It really ****es me off to see the want and waste. The deer carcasses could have been thrown in a better spot like a tree grove so the coyotes and birds could chew on them. the coyotes could have been sold. What wasteful dumb asses.

xdeano

I agree, the courthouse parking lot or even middle of the road would have been easier to clean up and less polution. Things like this make the news paper and give all of us, no matter how hard we try, a bad name in the eyes of the Non-hunting public.

Being as there are deer mixed in and few people would actually be stupid enough to transport a illegally killed deer to somewhere to dump it, keep an eye out for the county road side maintenance workers. They may be picking up roadkills and saving themselves a trip to the dump. Would not be the first time a gov't maintenance crew decided to take a short cut.

Of course blatant stupidity is fairly abundant so it may well be just about anybody.

Being as there are deer mixed in and few people would actually be stupid enough to transport a illegally killed deer to somewhere to dump it, keep an eye out for the county road side maintenance workers. They may be picking up roadkills and saving themselves a trip to the dump. Would not be the first time a gov't maintenance crew decided to take a short cut.

Of course blatant stupidity is fairly abundant so it may well be just about anybody.

Hey Bob, I agree,

The only thing that I see missing though is tramatic bruising on the shoulders where deer normally are very red with internal damage/bruising if they bounce off of a 4000lb bullet at 65mph. Also, no broken legs on the deer. Still don't know how they died but I don't think that a car hit them.

Some of the yotes had broken legs I'm finding out. It's starting to look like this dump may be from a snowmobiler. May have happened on "Trust Land" and dumped on state land. A lot of activities go unchecked there. Also there is a little jurisdictional snafu if I try to investigate a tribal suspect without feds present. (feds cherry pick a lot and I don't see them beating down the door on this one):cool:

Don't know about the coyotes but the deer give me the impression they were shot, probably during the deer season, partially skinned, and then dumped. I've met a couple of younger guys over the years who skin deer down just far enough to get the backstraps out and reach in with fingers and get the tenderloins out, without completely gutting the deer. The rest is thrown away. I can't help it, that chaps my arse! My Dad and GrandDad taught me to skin the animal down to the jawbone and keep everything edible. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.