Coyote Calling--The Setup

ADMIN

Administrator
I settled in front of the juniper tree adjusting my bipod legs to the height needed to make an effective shot on the creek bottom before me. A little over four minutes into Adult Cottontail from my Foxpro Fury, two coyotes were loping towards the caller. The closest coyote clears the brush but decides it doesn't like what it isn't seeing. It turns back into the brush but stops as I let out a bark with my voice. Only its head and neck are visible over the brush but it moves a few feet back towards the call and the 35 grain Berger from my .204 AR finds its mark.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Coyote Calling--The Setup, By Tim Titus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Setup is one of my problems. I don't know how many times I have setup, turned on my call andlightbulb realized everything is wrong. Elevation is paramount .

REDHEAD: I know exactly what you mean. There have been times when we've sat down to call, realized it was a bad set-up and just gotten up and left without calling. It's better than educating a coyote and not being able to call it later. I've also set-up and then changed either my location or the location of the caller. Again, a little more motion prior to starting to call is better than a bad set-up.

The first bobcat I killed was partially the result of modifying my set-up before beginning to call. As I sat down, I realized it wasn't goiung to be a great set-up. I only moved about ten feet to my right but when the bobcat got to my call, I only had to bring my rifle straight up and I was dead in line with the 'cat. I may have been able to get him from where I was at but it was satisfying to have it just right when he got there. A nice bobcat was the result.

2007Varmints014.jpg

Last edited:
Its hard when your looking at so much nothingness. I feel I go to great lengths. I usually walk 1/4 mile to stand- using terrain to hide my truck, watch the wind. Works less than often. Oh well , its the adventure.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.