Coyote at 1041 yards with my 6.5-284 Norma

coltac

Sunday morning a friend and I decided to go coote hunting. We parked the pickup and walked to the top of a huge grassy flat. I set the foxpro for a coyote locator call and a few seconds later we heard several of them answer us. We eventually glassed one out of a large sidehill. I laid down prone and got into position and threw him the lieca 1200. After q few tries he said "1039". right about then the yote takes a few steps up the hill and lies down. He re ranged the coyote and found it to be 1041 yards. I looked at my drop chart, and dialed 22.7 MOA into my scope, and guessed on around 3 MOA of left wind. Once he had a good bead on the coyote I let it fly! The bullet hit just over the coyotes back. He stood up and ran down the hill about 50 feet, turned around and walked right back to where he was standing. I held on the bottom of his brisket and touched it off again. I saw the coyote dump over, and around a second later I heard that wonderful crunch sound. That is my first yote over 1000 yards, and there will be many more to co e, thanks to the accuacy of the 6.5!

hill.jpg

dog.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's some shooting!!! 1041 yards on a medium dog size target is a heck of a shot. Congratulations and look forward to seeing the pics.

Thanks guys, i was pretty happy with the shot, wish it woulda been on the first shot, but hey, it is what it is! i posted a couple of pictures of where i shot from etc, its nice coyote country.

Thanks guys, i was pretty happy with the shot, wish it woulda been on the first shot, but hey, it is what it is! i posted a couple of pictures of where i shot from etc, its nice coyote country.
Congratulations on "one heckuva shot" Give us a description of your rifle and load.........Rich

My rifle is a savage model 12 6.5-284 Norma. It has a 1-8 inch twist, 30" bull barrel. My load is 142 grain Sierra mks. Using 52.5 grains of IMR 4831. It has a muzzle velocity of 3120 FPS and shoots around 6" at 1000 yards. Not the most accurate rifle in the world, but it does the trick.

My rifle is a savage model 12 6.5-284 Norma. It has a 1-8 inch twist, 30" bull barrel. My load is 142 grain Sierra mks. Using 52.5 grains of IMR 4831. It has a muzzle velocity of 3120 FPS and shoots around 6" at 1000 yards. Not the most accurate rifle in the world, but it does the trick.

That's pretty tight. Goes to show what a factory Savage in capable hands can accomplish. :D

Tank

Just a hair over 1/2moa at over a 1000 yards in a custom rig would be delightful let alone from a factory rig...of coarse you the shooter have alot to do with it and don't want to overlook that as well. Very very nice.

Last edited:
That first shot says a lot about the setup and preparation of your complete system. And its all good. There aren't that many folks that could get that first shot that close, be able to spot it, make the necessary adjustment then make "the" shot. Good going.

I shoot LR in similar terrain. You were shooting over a couple of valleys and rises and wind lift 'could' have been the difference. Lift is a difficult on to see.

Based on this single event, would you:

A) Adjust your drop chart that minute amount?
B) Keep'r the way she is and see if there's a trend?

BTW, there seems to be much more than just a "guess" with the windage you used!:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.