Cow elk opportunity

Yes get the tag! Understand that it is a "left over tag" which means a unit that not many put in for due to low concentration of animals. I have been hunting Utah with J&J Outfitters for 15 years. 100% success rate on free range, fair chase, cow elk hunts.

Being an "ELKOHOLIC" I MUST say ... go for it, but maybe check with your outfitter first and see success rates and explore concentration of animals ...
Having Eaten a # of Bulls and Cows ... Elk is my meat of Choice for 41 years ... and considering how little meat is on Prairie Goat (n I don't care how delicious it is and it is) to have all that meat from a nice health cow ... you'll appreciate it immensely .. LRB
oh and if you don't -- learn to call ... :)

The unit is primarily private land from what I understand and the ranch we are hunting has a pretty sizable elk population....at least that's what I'm told. So it really boils down to limited access in this unit and they rarely if ever sell out of cow elk tags.

I feel pretty confident in having an opportunity to dump one.

Where and what is the outfitters name if you don't mind sharing it, planetwaves.
Thank you

Triple Three Outfitters. Sorry been super busy just now catching up on this thread.

Last edited:
With all the hoopla of killing that monster bull or "booner" or whatever you want to call a mature bull I think it's nice to just get back to the basics. Fun. Meat. A cow (or doe) is still a trophy in my book. Not that I wouldn't want to shoot a 350" 6by.....who wouldn't?!!

talk me out of buying a leftover cow elk tag in Wyoming.....have opportunity to hunt them as an add on of an antelope hunt.....I figure if I'm putting in the effort and money to travel 2000 miles plus time off work why not!?
Just an FYI, Arizona had over 750 cow tags left over last year. Not sure about this year but it's another opportunity to watch for. Good areas to look for left overs is 4a north Hopi tag and 5a or 5B Hopi. Easy access from I-40 Winslow AZ.

5883A722-AEF1-4E7C-BF65-9555001F076F.jpeg Cow down!!!

354yards 2 shots second was for insurance. 140# of boneless free range meat in freezer. My brother and I had a blast !!!

E8B9C8DC-F571-4CCB-BAF9-D2900E6887C8.jpeg B94A5BA6-1ED0-428C-A18C-F741B5037A93.jpeg I know this is the elk forum but check out these goats!! Mine is second pic brothers is first. His will likely break 80" its a slammer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.