Cow elk on the Manti - Deja Vue

Buffalobob

I apply each year for a special draw bull tag in Utah and have to buy a license to do so. With money invested in hunting in Utah, I have been applying for a cow elk tag in one of the Manti units and have always drawn out. Out of the last five years I have killed four cow elk within a few hundred yards of each other. Nothing spectacular to it, just sit and wait for one to walk across the open valley and than take a 250 yard shot at it.

This year was using the Rem 260 with 140 Berger VLDs (hunting) bullets. Rifle was smithed by Eddie Harren.

Attachments

• elk 2015 (2).jpg
    elk 2015 (2).jpg
    238 KB · Views: 153
  • elk 2015 (3).jpg
    elk 2015 (3).jpg
    143 KB · Views: 148
Nice - Congrats Bob. Do you still get down to SC for some shooting? gun)

Not any more, SC DNR changed the rules to allow people with hounds to hunt too much and ruined it for the still hunters. I now drive back down to Alabama and hunt the Sipsey Wilderness Area.

How did the 140 gr VLD hunting bullet perform?

The rifle has a 20 inch barrel (for pig hunting) so the starting velocity is fairly low for that bullet, but the distance was only 250 yards. The bullet performed a lot better than the Berger 140 gr Hybrid that I used a few years ago from exactly the same spot and about the same distance.

Well, that's sure a nice scenic place to set and wait.:)
Are those wallows in the meadow along the creek?

The little stream had been colonized by beavers about 20 years ago so the valley is a series of wet areas from the old beavers dams having filled up with sediment.

I am not there very often when the elk are not disturbed by other hunters, but during archery season in prior years I never saw any indication that elk were making wallows.

Hey Jim!
It's good to see you back on the board! It has been some time since I've seen a post from you. Thanks for sharing this one. Terrific as always. I'm curious, how much did that elk weight?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.