Cow elk- close

I'm surprised that there wasn't more bullet expansion considering the rather high impact velocity. Either way, the bullet got the job done.
At such high impact velocities the petals will shear off in about 10" of penetration. Large expansions are not that good for penetration. As it happened the amount of expansion you see on the shank was above caliber and sharp edges. Notice the shank is also bent, testimony to the forces acting on the bullet during its travel through the animal, all the while turning at the rate of a 1:8 twist barrel.

I'm glad you noticed the bent shank. A testimony to the extreme force placed on this bullet at high speed & impact with heavy bone. The elk for the most part went nowhere but down.

Juat be sure to get them out quickly/ at the start of the process, before the belly swells and makes it more of a PITA
I take them out last. I've explained the process on here before. After everything else is done, open up the belly, I prefer the tip of the knife between 2 fingers and let the guts spill out. If you do it right you won't have to touch anything or get bloody, they spill out on their own. That relieves all the pressure from the tenderloins and they are super easy to get out, way easier than taking them out first.

I take them out last. I've explained the process on here before. After everything else is done, open up the belly, I prefer the tip of the knife between 2 fingers and let the guts spill out. If you do it right you won't have to touch anything or get bloody, they spill out on their own. That relieves all the pressure from the tenderloins and they are super easy to get out, way easier than taking them out first.
That's not bad either, might try that on the 2nd side next time. I like to grab them first on the 1st side for the bulging reason...don't wanna spill the guts with an accidental puncture. Takes 10 minutes to get the hide down and that rear quarter off...have the 1st one out in 15.

That's not bad either, might try that on the 2nd side next time. I like to grab them first on the 1st side for the bulging reason...don't wanna spill the guts with an accidental puncture. Takes 10 minutes to get the hide down and that rear quarter off...have the 1st one out in 15.
Keep that knife point between your fingers and no worries about a puncture. Try it. I bet you'll thank me while standing over that elk! 😜