Cow elk caliber

Where is this hunt with close shots all from side by sides? I have never been on an easy elk hunt, even for a cow. That sounds refreshing.
It's a private ranch in UT with a few land owner tags left. Apparently they had a lot of cancellations and want to thin the herd a little. I think it's going to be more of "killing" rather then "hunting" but at least I'll fill my freezer.

It's a private ranch in UT with a few land owner tags left. Apparently they had a lot of cancellations and want to thin the herd a little. I think it's going to be more of "killing" rather then "hunting" but at least I'll fill my freezer.
It's a good way to cut your teeth too
Go get em'

If you were going to shoot a cow and have a 308 and a 270 which would you choose? I have 150 and 165 grain Barnes bullets for the 308 and 130 grain Barnes and Nosler e-tips for the 270.

I could pull out the 300wm but it's a heavy rifle. I'm not opposed to carrying it because this hunt is going to be from side by sides o

If you were going to shoot a cow and have a 308 and a 270 which would you choose? I have 150 and 165 grain Barnes bullets for the 308 and 130 grain Barnes and Nosler e-tips for the 270.

I could pull out the 300wm but it's a heavy rifle. I'm not opposed to carrying it because this hunt is going to be from side by sides or quads.
Sorry about the first reply my kitten stepped on the keyboard. @^$#%%#^
OK... I'd suggest the .308 Win with a 165gr and the .270 Win with a 150gr just close your eyes and pick both would work great on a cow Elk size animal. Good luck.

I could pull out the 300wm but it's a heavy rifle. I'm not opposed to carrying it because this hunt is going to be from side by sides or quads.
I would choose the .300 WM. You're hunting from quads and not hiking long distances so why not choose the rifle that you know will do the job on a large animal such as an Elk. Just in case the shot placement isn't perfect. Just my 2 cents.

Any of the three will work....use the one that you are most comfortable with!

That said, without knowing the bullets you would use in the 300 and you stated that it's heavy.....so it's out of the equation!

Whats left: The .308 Win......go with the 150 Barnes
The 270 Win......go with the 130 Barnes

As usual, JMO! memtb

If I was shooting a cow elk I would use the smallest legal caliber I could. I would shoot her in the head any way so If I could use a 218 Bee I would. For your two smaller cartridges.......does not matter one bit. I would suggest you shoot a 140-150 or 165-180 for body shots....what ever you want to head shots.

Shoot the vitals and you're good with either one. Just know that lead call is a tough one to take down.
Never shoot the Lead Cow!!!! Absolutely ruins and makes their life super difficult compared to having her around. Just shoot one of the other ones.....Lead Cow is just older/mature and does not have this giant body mass over another adult cow. They are nothing like the body size difference big bulls have.

Recent Posts