COW ELK @ 168yrd meet 300SMK

300rum

Hi everyone,

I just come back from 1 VERY HARD week hunting.
My self and 3 friends headed on Elk country here in Alberta (Rockyes Mnt) for 5 days trip.
So… after 4 very long years of waiting to get draw on cow elk, finally this year I got the winning ticket.
So long preparation all year round for shooting long range up to 1400yrds with my 338 EDGE driven by 300SMK at 2814fps.
I was able to hit the vital zones from first shot at 1200 yrs and i was confident for a perfect shot is the opportunities shows up.
This fall i got some WT deers at 480, 620, 280yrds not so far for LRH but it was the start.

So we packed everything from slipping bags, food, water, ammo, PDA, wind meter, electronic bar pressure units, and we headed high country.
So the first day we just glassing high and we seen loots of tracks, but all were from one night before.
Second day everything looks good, lots of snow on the ground (easy for tracking), no wind, so we were on position at 7:00 am waiting for the sun to show up.
at the first light just few mulley and few dows, but no elk.
After scouting 5 hours, we decided to change the tactics, moving to higher elevation on the next valley.
So we headed to our trucks, for a quick lunch, and in the middle of our lunch very high we spotted one herd of 6 cows and 2 spikers.
Quick we decided to move out and tried our luck.
We range them at 1100 yards but the wind it was terrible, more then 35mph.
No way to take the shoot because it was gusting blowing from all direction.
We decided to go after them in bedding area.
We were walking more then 2 hr on the aspen patch woods but we find nothing.
They were on the run, and no stopping at this time.
So next day we headed to the next area and start glassing.
We were using Cow elk calling allot, but nothing. So We headed higher on elevation, to a saddle ridge what was looking very good for elks.
After arriving we start glassing and using 6 times our cow calling we decided to move on, when something catches our eyes. From our left side, on DEAD RUN, came from the safety of the aspen woods, ONE ALONE COW ELK. We could not believe our eyes., so we laid down, and prepare for the shot.
Ranged her at 380 yrd, and she was coming straight to us. We bowed another 2 times on cow elk, and we prepare for the shoot. She stopped at 168 yrd, and I just wait for her to turn broadside.
2 second later I pressed the trigger aiming for front shoulder. I was shooting from up hill at 0.97 cosine, but no correction needed.
She flinched very hard, took one step back and start running 5 yards, and then she hit the DIRT.

I quick load another round, but no needed follow-up shoots.

I was very happy, I filled my elk cow tag, no looking for the big cow, but a decent one, and very tender meat on frizzer.
We filled 4 big coolers with meat (70lb each), and I could not be more happy.

Here is the photo of the cow elk and my self with the 338EDGE rifle.
cowelkwmu304.jpg

We needed more then 2 hrs with ATV to drag her up to a main path and from there we loaded her on the truck.
My hunting partners were helping me all the time and without a team work it was no way to get this cow elk down the mountain.

When we dressed her I found fragments of the 3338 SMK jackets on the hart.
The bullet smashed the front shoulder, pass and cut the hart in half, jelling the lungs, and on the exit took with him 1 rib from the other side. Exit hole not bigger then 2 loonies (2inches diameter).
I know this is not a LR Shoot but sometings the God is changing our plans.

Last edited:
Congrats, 300rum! Yeah, I was just up shooting out to just over 1K today (load looks pretty good), but you just never know what might pop up in the woods at close range. I just want meat in the freezer and don't care how far it is, although after all the work we do for that lrh shot, it's fun to take one at longer range now and then! Thanks for the report and pic. I've got 5 days to go before I can hunt elk... Jon

Congrats, 300rum! Yeah, I was just up shooting out to just over 1K today (load looks pretty good), but you just never know what might pop up in the woods at close range. I just want meat in the freezer and don't care how far it is, although after all the work we do for that lrh shot, it's fun to take one at longer range now and then! Thanks for the report and pic. I've got 5 days to go before I can hunt elk... Jon

Hi Jmden,

Thank you. and good luck on your elk hunting trip.
How can I said... the meat taste soooo gooood, and is tender....

Good luck and aim small.

Congrats on your elk, enjoy that tender meat. I am sure it will be very tasty. You were ready for the long shot and that is the important part, even though it did not happen, you were successful on your hunt.

Congratulations on the elk. Remember someone somewhere thinks 168 yards is long range, it's all relative.

Sometimes as you did you take what is presented to you. at least your were prepared for 0-1200 yards and made your shot count.

Congrats on your elk, enjoy that tender meat. I am sure it will be very tasty. You were ready for the long shot and that is the important part, even though it did not happen, you were successful on your hunt.

Yes, is right. At least I got my elk and I have the confidence for long shots when the time it commes.

Congratulations Chris on the cow elk! You earned her. I think that cow elk was meant for you when she walked out all alone at that distance.

Funny timing, I'd been thinking of emailing you to see how your season was going. Looks like you've been having a good season. What zone did you draw your cow tag in?

Let's not forget, we still need to meet up to get out shooting sometime.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi, Slopeshunter,

Glad to hear you are ok.
I got drawn on WMU 304 (4 long years of waiting) Priority 3 at cow elk.
This year I was very very busy. I got 3 White Tailed dows (already on frizer) one cow elk (on frizer) and another 2 white tailed (special draws 152) and 2 Mulley Dows (special draw 152).
For the last 4 I have to go out this Week and next One on privat land.
So I'm kind of in KILLING MOD.
I hope you are OK, and you got a chance to get out there. This year I got 2 deers on every tag on 152.

This upcomming hunting will be a tough one, because I have to take really really long shots on very windy condition. Prairies and the Chinook is there all the time, with winds from 20mph qnd up.

Hey lets get together after season, to strech our rifles a little bit.

Chris, glad to hear that you've been out burning the powder! I'll send you a pm in the next while about meeting up. Have a good rest of your season!

Cheers

Hey 300 ! Long time no hear !

Good work mate !

Hows the 338 been treating you lately ?

I'd recognise that custom pistol grip anywhere ! Looks like your gun got a bad *** tactical paint job since I last saw her ?

Sounds like it's come together nicely.

Well done again.

DUH

Hey 300 ! Long time no hear !

Good work mate !

Hows the 338 been treating you lately ?

I'd recognise that custom pistol grip anywhere ! Looks like your gun got a bad *** tactical paint job since I last saw her ?

Sounds like it's come together nicely.

Well done again.

DUH

Dear Down Under,
I start loving my 338Edge more and more past every day.
What at the biggining it was a dream, now is a great tactical hunting rifle.
I invest a lot of time and effort, lots of field shoting in really bad weather (windy, over canion, etc) and now is getting closer to the DREAM RIFLE. I love the 338 SMK's, never let me down from 75yrds to 1680 yrds.
You know shooting wey over 1500 yrds you really have to check your atmospheric condition before every shot.
About the custom grip.... Hmmm lots of changes on the way, I start with a HS Precision stoch and start modified myself the grip. Now is like a glove, and about the paint job... i change the paint from time to time just to blend with the hunting areas.
One down size... to **** heavy 19lbs rifle... realy hard to shot from standing position. 98% prone and 2% kneeling.
When I will burn out the barell I will go with a lighter contour.
You will get sore shoulders after houling 19lbs up and down 8-9km every days on elk country... but you will be surprised how fast you can ran with her when the adrenaline is pumping in your blood...

How is your 338Edge serving you down there?

The edge is going really well mate. It is a terrific round.

I am going to give mine a new paint job over xmas when I can spare it from hunting. Maybe a desert theme. Looking a cerakote. What paints have you found good. Prob just a mil spec color , OD or Coyote stuff !

Cheers

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.