Couse deer hunting in New Mexico

wildcat westerner

Hello,
I've taken White tail, Mulies and Black tail deer, but as yet to even see a Couse deer. I have failed in attempting to draw a Couse permit in New Mexico , and want to hunt these animals in this state I have retired to. Its been some years since I have taken any college post grad courses and would like to devote a share of time in discovering more about these animals, the habitat they live in, in New Mexico and also successful hunting techniques and specific areas for hunting them in NM.
I learned to hunt whitetails with a bow, and found much of that technique translated well when hunting with George Shurtleffe in Oregon. George had the three top Blacktails in the Record book at that time. Most Mulies I have taken I basically have stumbled on. So, using a rifle now, I want to be well prepared when I finally get a tag for hunting Couse here in New Mexico.
Thank you your attention in this matter.
Gene S.

They are Coues deer. Mostly SW New Mexico in very tough terrain. I used to put in for Units 23 and 24, but never drew. A friend saw a good Coues buck farther north, where there were no tags. He found out later, he could have taken it on a general deer tag.

I have been hunting them for some time now. Get yourself a good pair of binoculars, a tripod and a spotting scope.

I like to get up on a hill and glass a large area. I may sit in one spot for an hour just glassing because these deer are very shy. They move from brush to brush, shadow to shadow and disappear very easily. They are smaller than your regular whitetail and when they lay down, they almost disappear.

When I glass for them, I will start out and glass every nook and cranny in my Bino view and than move over and do the same thing again. You can look in one area 5 different times and then look at it again and there is a deer there. You have to be a patient glasser and keep at it.

Korhil78,
Thank you for emphasizing the glassing aspect. A huntercalled me and suggested black powder hunting in unit 27 on the Az-Mex-N Mex border since bp hunters get the first crack at these deer near Halloween. Do you know this area? Have you had success?

Thank you very much.

Gene

Muzzleloader is a good hunt. The only problem with unit 27 is that you will have to study your maps really well because a lot of it is private. Now if you are willing to pay a trespassing fee, then you can have access to some good areas. Otherwise, your area is limited to the Geronimo Trail Road area and the clover dale area. The Geronimo Trail Road area can get thick and treacherous in a hurry with not much glassing.

You can find good deer in the rifle hunt as well. The later hunt is better of course. The colder it is, the longer they are up moving around. So you have more time to see them before they bed down. On the rifle hunts, you just have to find spots back in there where people arnt going.

Hello Korhil,
I,ll be taking notes directly from this email. Any and everything you want to share with me concerning hunting these animals I have never seen, will be deeply appreciated.

Take Care,
Gene