Couple gun/action questions

midwesthunter

I have no knowlege of these rifle or actions. But I have the opertunity to buy a couple enfield 30-06 rifle, and 98 mauser actions with new timney trigers. There are 4 enfields, they are winchester,rem, and the other cheaper one. They function great just beat up stocks, some have been sporterised? I can get them for next to nothing. So question is are they worth the hasle? can you build anything decent off the mauser actions? Could I rechamber the enfields to a diffrent call for say a brush rifle close range?

I have no knowlege of these rifle or actions. But I have the opertunity to buy a couple enfield 30-06 rifle, and 98 mauser actions with new timney trigers. There are 4 enfields, they are winchester,rem, and the other cheaper one. They function great just beat up stocks, some have been sporterised? I can get them for next to nothing. So question is are they worth the hasle? can you build anything decent off the mauser actions? Could I rechamber the enfields to a diffrent call for say a brush rifle close range?

I don't know much about building on an Enfield action but if the calibers are held to something
similar and not loaded they should be fine.

As to the Mauser action , they make great actions to build a custom rifle and look good if
re-blued. I would not recomend building any of the big Magnums on ether action even though
they would probably be ok depending on the year they were built (Some actions built during
the late war years were not proof tested and could be dangerous).

Try to stay with the same case head dia. for bolt lug loading and with 47,000 Psi to 50,000
Psi loads for safety. I know this all sounds conservative but it is better to error on the side
of safety.

J E CUSTOM

I have customs built on both actions.

My US Model 1917 made by Remington (called an Enfield, but they aren't really...) had the "ears" turned off and the rear bridge contoured to match a Remington model 30. A #6 Douglas XX AG barrel was affixed, with an original MagnaPort brake, and chambered to 300 WM and housed in a bedded Fajen stock. Bottom metal was straightened, and the whole thing blued up. All that was back in the late 70s/early 80s. I bought the rifle from the former owner's widow. I then installed a Dayton-Traister cock-on-opening conversion with trigger. Leupy 4.5-14 AO w/ M1 turrets. Shoots about 0.5 MOA out to 200 (haven't gotten on a longe range with it yet...). The stock fits me very well, in fact feeling like it was custom made for me. All up w/ bipod and 3 in the mag it goes 12.5lbs, so not a walking rifle...

On the Mausers, I have a 338 WM and a 6.5-06AI, both of which are built on VZ24 actions and are MOA or better shooters. I'm building a 35 Remington on a Kar98a action right now (it'll end up with a can on it more than likely). I've got another VZ24 action salted away for a future build TBD...

If you can get them bought right, they'll make fine sporters. You won't save any money on them versus using a commercial action, but it can be fun nonetheless. In my experience, they'll shoot pretty well, too!

Have fun,
Brian

Those you mentioned were favorites at one time for building a custom sporter. Examine them closely if they've been sporterized at all, like drilled and tapped for scope mounts. I've seen a bushel of these where the person doing the customizing didn't pay a 'smith to drill the holes on a 'sight mounting jig' and as such, the holes aren't on the center line, a real problem as the only thing to do is drill more holes and "Swiss Cheese" ain't good in this case. Everybody that cut the 'ears' off of a Model 1917 contoured the rear bridge differently. Getting one set up for scope mounts can be a real chore. Bolt handles will have to be delt with, especially on the Mauser. And safties , too. Not to discourage you, but if you can't do the work yourself you can tie-up alot of money paying a 'smith to do these things, enough you could easily buy a comercial action such as a Remington 700 or a Winchester 70. If they are in original condition they may be worth more than if sporterized. A Mauser that's not a rusty piece of junk is getting hard to find, and they're no longer a $100 bill.

I just completed a mauser project myself with all the work done in the garage, I have pictures posted in the forum listed gun photos under the title my project. Check it out, the project was great fun.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.