Could use a little more help for my son's Christmas present

Alibiiv

I'd like to start out by saying that I do not know squat about an AR15 or its mechanics at all!!!!! I am strictly blued steel, bolt action and walnut stock shooter. The closest I have come to an AR is a Ruger 10-22. I posted about a week ago asking for some help with an AR build for my son for a Christmas present. I got a lot of great and positive feedback, did a lot of research and came up with what I believe good parts for an AR built. I've heard him rant about the Proof Research barrel so it's a 16 inch, Proof Research barrel, .223 Wylde chamber, 16 inch mid barrel (?) and a Seekins adjustable gas block. I know there are lots of opinions on this forum, and......also a wealth of information!!! Now I am looking for some input on a trigger system and a muzzle brake for this rifle. The rifle will be used to shoot steel out to 300 yards, and he'll probably start to work in getting his groups down as small as possible. And if possible I'd like to get them both for around the $500 budget. Thank you for any input.

For more precision style shooting a Geissele SSA-E(spendy)/G2S, LaRue MBT (Cheaper, but check wait times) are all good two stage triggers. Recoil isn't going to matter much with .223, I use a lot of the VG6s for AR stuff but I try to keep brakes in the low cost portion on a build.

SSA-E will be reliable and safe and really nice to shoot. Think about straight trigger vs curved they make both. I think Geissele will have a BF sale tomorrow. Note that they get pretty backordered and you may not have it in hand quickly.

The brake will just annoy bystanders. I gave up on brakes on AR's years ago. The competition guys use them to keep a level gun during rapid fire (lighter guns too). With a varmint/precision rig recoil is just not an issue.

Since it sounds like you have a threaded barrel, you have to put something on there. Whatever you choose, make sure it is closed on the bottom if he is going to shoot prone.

I assume that Proof is 1 in 7. He will also want/need some quality ammo. 69-77 grain stuff. And maybe some 20 round mags lots of guys shooting at the bench prefer them to the 30's as they don't get in the way.

Alibiiv, I know you want to get a killer barrel and all, and I just took a look at your other thread.

The heart of AR's is actually the upper. The lower just houses the fire control group and magazine.

If he wants to shoot tight groups changing the barrel on that M&P will be a start but as noted there are many other factors to getting a truly accurate AR.

Everyone loves a build project and maybe that is really what he wants to do, but if he wants to have a gun that just works and shoots tight groups, read on.

One person on that earlier thread mentioned White Oak Armament. These guys specialize in competition uppers. For $600ish you can buy a complete upper. Slap a decent trigger in that lower and he will have essentially two guns - the original M&P and the complete white oak upper that shoots bugholes. Two pins are all it takes to swap uppers back and forth.

The big stainless barrels aren't even threaded. The uppers are 223 Wylde chambered, sorted out for accuracy guys, and they will shoot. Take a look I know it's not the direction you were headed but honestly you're wasting money on that Proof and gas block.

They make Varmint type uppers with longer barrels. If he truly isn't going past 300 a 16" 1-7 barrel is great and will be waaaaay less awkward and heavy.

Take a look at the SPR type uppers. Link to White Oak SPR Uppers Page.

If I were buying one today I'd get the SPR 18", rifle length gas system. It would shoot verrrrrry soft. Your son also might like the 16" midlength gas system. the SPR uppers have a lighter contour and are threaded on the end. I would want to run a suppressor so SPR would be what I'd pick.

The other type, unthreaded with heavy barrel will be something more like this. Link to White Oak Varmint/Predator Uppers

Look over their website they sell a ton of competition specific uppers.

And know that M193 ammo (the 55 grain stuff most people buy/shoot) is not going to group well.

(Full disclosure I don't own a White Oak, but people who know recommend them highly. I have an old Rock River varmint style AR 16" that shoots as accurately as I care to fool with in AR's).

Last edited:
Larue met-2s for like 90$ from various vendors like alpine. Larue often takes a while to ship and you don't have a while.

That leaves tons of money for other stuff, and those triggers are fantastic for the price. I have multiple and have G triggers to compare, still buying Larues.

Not gonna rec a brake since I shoot mine suppressed

Also, if you don't have it already, he is going to want/need an optic for precision shooting.
He has an Arken 4-16 scope that he seems to like. Actually I like the scope as well and did pick one up for myself for a Ruger 77/22. The scope is great, but a bit on the larger size for a .22 rifle with the 34mm tube. I was able to get the Geissele trigger that someone recommended, not a cheep date, but it's Christmas. Also for whatever reason I am having some difficulty with the site when I try to write replies today.

Last edited:
He has an Arken 4-16 scope that he seems to like. Actually I like the scope as well and did pick one up for myself for a Ruger 77/22. The scope is great, but a bit on the larger size for a .22 rifle with the 34mm tube. I was able to get the Geissele trigger that someone recommended, not a cheep date, but it's Christmas. Also for whatever reason I am having some difficulty with the site when I try to write replies today.
Primary Arms has them for $168, probably about as good as you'll find for the SSA-E outside of the used market. Think I saw a G2S somewhere close to $100, MBT you can find sub $100.

16" barrels make good enough carbines but leave a little on the table yet for range shooting. 18-20" will give you a little better velocity, less blast without being too heavy. Putting a brake on a 16" is LOUD! My two 16" carbines are on both ends of the price ladder. The little Bastard was put together with leftover parts and the cheapest barrel I could find, for less than $250. The other is a LRCW with a flutted 16" barrel that run long on $1500. The cheap barrel outshoots the fancy flutted unit!
Cant help with trigger, I love a light triggerbut all 6 of my ARs are running millspect triggers that seam to work just fine? As mentioned nuthing wrong with a 10 round mag, I prefer 20s and have a pile of 30s on reserve.
That Arken is a beast of a scope for a 16" barreled carbine! I realy like it on my 20" heavy/flutted 6.5 Grendel. but a 1-8 LVO fits the carbine better?
That being said my hunting partner has a pair of bone stock M&P (223,300BO) and a 223 18" Ruger that flat out shoot.