Could Someone Run Quickload Data for me?

W6o4Sqo.jpg

Actually I average the start loads from several manuals and work up, just like I did before I bought Quickload.

What I look for first is the point where the primer is just starting to be flush with the base of the case. And at this point the chamber pressure is high enough to make the brass stretch to meet the bolt face.

The point the case stretches to meet the bolt face varies with the construction of the case and the brass hardness. And at this point you are reaching the elastic limits of the brass and why you want minimum shoulder bump.

So tell me, do you ask people for Quickload start loads or do you look in the manuals...................
or do "YOU" just dump power in the case and hope for the best.:rolleyes:

I would not say its a dumb question. The response to the question might be dumber then the question.... ;) ( just in case you are wondering I am not being a jerk. more or less feeling you out.) Depending on who read what you wrote thy might think its ok to just experiment to get a starting load. Not wise or smart. So my question allowed you to clear up on your comment. "Bottom line, make a workup load and learn something about your rifle and the components you are using" I will admit. I took it to the Extreme! :D It was a feel you out question to. But you know there are those out there that would just measure out a amount of powder and try it for size. Even a to small of charge can be just as bad as to big of a charge. And maybe have less warning as you get close to it.

If its a Common cartridge that you can get load data for I use the load books then tweak the load to fit my gun.

I have never used quick load. But know those that do. Used right it is a good tool.

Now if its a wildcat that has never been done before and no other cartridge matches it for size. Its would be nice to have software you can put in all the details and see what it says for a starting load.

Remembering to that even if your shell hold the same amount of H2O as another one does not mean they will respond the same to the same amount and or type of powder.

Thanks for the explanation for how you do load workup. The way you do it is basically how I do it.

Again the question was more or less to feel you out because of the comment you made.

P.S The only time I just dump powder in a case is when its getting poured back into the case errr jug it came from. Or measuring the total capacity of a given case.

Here is just My opinion on Quick load. I think it is a great Tool for predicting loads In the beginning, but you must have many fields of input for it to be used for starting loads. If you can input data in all the fields in the program then it is possible to get a starting point.

I am very conservative and like to use it for a comparison to other listed loads in several manuals. I have even used the load data in the books to input into Quick load to see where it would fall with the listed loads. I am not very computer literate so I rely on friends to do the input with the parameters that I know, and then i do a comparison to make a educated starting point. But i still have the final decision as to which load i start with.

The recommendation to be careful not to rely on a computer program to make your decision is a good one in my opinion. Use it for a comparison to other loads to be safe. most of the abuses that I have seen have been starting with the high velocity load. (This can get you in trouble quick). It is a great tool if used with caution and is very useful tool on wildcats that there is no data for. but don't rely on it alone. I have designed many wildcats and found that the parent cartridge was a good starting point if i started some where in the middle of the range and off the max load by 2 or 3 grains then compare the quick load prediction and then decide.

Most reloading books don't agree with each other and don't agree with quick load so it becomes a choice as to which one you believe and trust.

If you don't have a wild cat, look at at least 3 sources for loads and pick a middle of the road load average and start. once you fire the first load (Be sure and chronograph it ) and you will have enough data to use quick load safely. I don't recommend volume testing by filling the case all the way to the top of the neck because it is not the real volume with the bullet seated. Fill to the neck shoulder junction and this will give you a more usable volume.

Even the tried and true loads act differently in different rifles so do the initial work up and go from there.

Just My OPinion

J E CUSTOM

Hell, I was gonna ask someone to run some numbers for a 300 Lapua. Started with low RUM charge but think it's got a bit more potential.

Hell, I was gonna ask someone to run some numbers for a
Please don't. Buy the software and learn how to use it.
As an early adopter of QL I've learned a lot over the years about many abstracts in load prediction. That there are key gotchas in QL you need to learn about and adjust to calibrate load files. Things like bullet dimensions/seating, bore dimensions and area, weighting factors, adjusting powder files for the lots in-hand, H20 capacities, chamber dimensions and area, starting pressures, powder temperatures, 'friction adjustment', for moly only(because it's not actually about friction), etc.
And you're still left with unpredictables like primer ignitions, and neck tensions.
But you can calibrate it. With enough information up front, you can predict very close to tested results. However, you're not going to have all the information needed, as provided over the internet, to be passing along QL predictions.

This could go from relatively safe(provided the golden rule of workup is followed), to unsafe, with one or two bogus & uncorrected input fields.
We used to have ReloadersNest.com, which amounted to an open online reloading manual. A very useful peer check for QL predictions, but now it's gone.
Without that, even confident in my QL skills, and if somehow losing all conscience, I would not post loads for somebody requesting it.

Here's a different perspective:

I use QuickLOAD as one tool among many and find it useful.

The reason I might help someone find a load is to see if Chris Long's Optimal Barrel Time theory works in multiple rifles. Unfortunately, too few people who ask for help are willing to measure things like case capacity and to provide the data to adjust powder burn rates or even report back the results. For that reason, I have stopped responding to these sort of requests.

I respect someone else's intellectual property as much as anyone. I don't believe the results I calculate using QuickLOAD are protected intellectual property any more than my output from a word processing program is protected, but I do believe if more reloaders come to appreciate the power of OBT load data, the more software will be sold. That's a win for everyone.

LOL,, TOURIST

Mikecr,

You are a true pillar of the community. You continually call people names and put others down.

Hell, I was gonna ask someone to run some numbers for a 300 Lapua. Started with low RUM charge but think it's got a bit more potential.

JJMoody,

Don't let one outspoken person deter you. Start a new tread on 300 Lapua, and I'm sure many will help with your load development.

gte901m

Quickload tells you in the instructions to measure the case capacity from a fired case from "YOUR" chamber and enter that capacity.

The case capacity you posted for the 280 AI with your Quickload data was less than the standard .280 Remington cartridge. Meaning the data you posted was worthless because the chamber pressure and velocity would be much higher than actual chamber pressure.

I do not care if someone helps another reloader by sharing Quickload output. What I was saying in my first posting was the people asking for Quickload help do not supply enough information. And if someone answers the question like you did the data will be wrong.

And my point being is you have Quickload and didn't even ask the OP to measure his actual case capacity. And then posted data that wasn't even close to a 280 Ackley Improved and its case capacity.

Bottom line, the above is what I have against handing out Quickload data. Because too much of what is given out in reloading forums is wrong. And to get close to actual data you need the correct case capacity, a chronograph and then tweak the burn rate in Quickload to match the chronograph velocity.

There is nothing wrong with helping someone in a reloading forum, "BUT" you are not helping anyone by giving them bad information.

Adjusting the Powder Burn rate Factor and the Bullet Weight to Help Match
QL to Range Chronograph Data:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjR0oOaxojcAhWptlkKHXn7AfEQFggqMAA&url=http://www.the-long-family.com/Tuning%20QL%20to%20achieve%20best%20results.pdf&usg=AOvVaw08rciXcOi6H7PVxlmTReZG

Below someone with Quickload asking why Quickload data varies. And this person entered the correct case capacity.

QuickLoad Trouble / Question - 308WIN
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?56039-QuickLoad-Trouble-Question-308WIN

Last edited:
Well thanks for all that. I especially appreciate how so many of you are willing and able able to regurgitate the same answer as everybody else but in your own words. I did not realize quickload was capable of all that. Nosler's Page came back up so I used their data and worked my way to a load with everything I'm looking for. It doesn't shoot as good as my Berger VLD load but hoping I can get the Accubond LR to shoot a little better with some fiddling.

Well thanks for all that. I especially appreciate how so many of you are willing and able able to regurgitate the same answer as everybody else but in your own words. I did not realize quickload was capable of all that. Nosler's Page came back up so I used their data and worked my way to a load with everything I'm looking for. It doesn't shoot as good as my Berger VLD load but hoping I can get the Accubond LR to shoot a little better with some fiddling.

In defense of the membership, Everyone is/was trying to keep you out of trouble and remind others Not to give a source by its self that could also get one in trouble. Some have different ways of expressing themselves and may get abrasive, I think the intent is/was to help keep others out of trouble and from learning the hard way what can happen.

Nothing personal (I hope :rolleyes: )

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Troutslayer2
If you used the case capacity from the Nosler reloading page or manual, that is the case capacity to the base of the seated bullet. And you need the case capacity to the case mouth for Quickload

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.