Cough Suppressor?

Okay, this is something I've been pondering for a couple of years: What can I use to suppress the sound when I cough or sneeze while hunting? Admittedly, this is necessary only for short range hunting, but I don't know how many opportunities I have lost because of a single loud cough or sneeze. I think I saw something listed on the Cabela's website years ago, but didn't jump on it at the time. And it seems to me that a person should be able to fashion something themself. What have you guys/gals found to be effective, while lightweight and easy to carry?
I find pressing VERY hard....to the extent of mild pain.... the side of my finger directly beneath my nose....not closing off nostrils..... against upper lip dissipates the need to sneeze very well. Not sure of the physical mechanism of this technique, need to ask my doctor son, but it sure works for me. For coughing, in addition to the typical cough drops/medicines, I found a device branded as "Cough Killer" from Hunter Specialties several years ago. It is an opaque black plastic container about cigarette package size with an oval "mouthpiece" on one end. It splits in the middle revealing a black foam insert.....looks like standard packaging flexible foam.......ala gun case liner foam padding. Insert mouthpiece into one's mouth when unable to resist coughing. The foam appears to function like a muffler. Works very well for me. Maybe stuff foam inside a wide-mouth.....26-43mm diameter opening....plastic bottle to give it a try for yourself if one can't find actual Cough Killer. Might even try merely holding the foam alone over the mouth during cough. CAUTION: DO NOT ADVISE ATTEMPTING THIS TECHNIQUE USING YOUR INSTALLED RIFLE SUPPRESSOR!!! Today, one has to allow for terminal stupidity in our litigious midst.....:) :) :)

Last edited:
I seen the cough silencer years ago on the outdoor channel. Never got one. My method is if I sense one coming is to take an extra sweatshirt or jacket out of my pack and cough into that if I don't have time then I pull my coat over my face

A vendor gave me one at SHOT show one year.
Not worth the trouble to carry when you have a nice clothed sleeve that is always with you.
Cough Silencer.jpg
Cough Silencer.jpg

A vendor gave me one at SHOT show one year.
Not worth the trouble to carry when you have a nice clothed sleeve that is always with you.
View attachment 304066View attachment 304066
I got the same one 20 years ago. It hangs off my neck right next to my "Grunt Tube" for deer or coyote calls. It has cotton filler that you can change out. For the most part it worked for me.

Attachments

• Cough .jpg
    Cough .jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 172
Okay, this is something I've been pondering for a couple of years: What can I use to suppress the sound when I cough or sneeze while hunting? Admittedly, this is necessary only for short range hunting, but I don't know how many opportunities I have lost because of a single loud cough or sneeze. I think I saw something listed on the Cabela's website years ago, but didn't jump on it at the time. And it seems to me that a person should be able to fashion something themself. What have you guys/gals found to be effective, while lightweight and easy to carry?
12 hour guaifenesin

As far as sneeze- I squeeze my nose until the sneeze goes away-- coughing- I've been able to just not do it.

If I'm sick, that's a whole other ball game-- then I load up on other drugs , cough meds, cough drops etc so it will help out.

What about some sort of mouth call so at least you are making an animal sound?
The mouth call is a VERY GOOD idea! I like it...

I still have the Cough Silencer in one of my tubs of hunting stuff I don't use (wasted money tubs). I bought it 20+ years ago. Tried it around the house for a few days and never did get it to silence or even muffle a cough or sneeze. You have to pucker your lips around the small tube to make a seal and it's not a natural position when coughing or sneezing. It usually ends up sounding like sitting on a whoopee cushion.

I find pressing VERY hard....to the extent of mild pain.... the side of my finger directly beneath my nose....not closing off nostrils..... against upper lip dissipates the need to sneeze very well. Not sure of the physical mechanism of this technique, need to ask my doctor son, but it sure works for me. For coughing, in addition to the typical cough drops/medicines, I found a device branded as "Cough Killer" from Hunter Specialties several years ago. It is an opaque black plastic container about cigarette package size with an oval "mouthpiece" on one end. It splits in the middle revealing a black foam insert.....looks like standard packaging flexible foam.......ala gun case liner foam padding. Insert mouthpiece into one's mouth when unable to resist coughing. The foam appears to function like a muffler. Works very well for me. Maybe stuff foam inside a wide-mouth.....26-43mm diameter opening....plastic bottle to give it a try for yourself if one can't find actual Cough Killer. Might even try merely holding the foam alone over the mouth during cough. CAUTION: DO NOT ADVISE ATTEMPTING THIS TECHNIQUE USING YOUR INSTALLED RIFLE SUPPRESSOR!!! Today, one has to allow for terminal stupidity in our litigious midst.....:) :) :)
Found pic of the Cough Killer which I use and described in previous post. Works for me. YMMV
Also, check out the YouTube video by Ken Nordbeeg titled: Deer Hunting Cough Muffler Suppressor Video URL: . Ken reviews a Cough Muffler....looks like the Cough Killer pictured herein. Ken also reviews a homemade cough suppressor made from a pill bottle with paper towel stuffed inside.

One might also observe in the wild some Libturd dufus with his head up his *** to suppress those coughs. Just pondering.... :) :) :)

open-uri20131020-22461-14fa6tg

Last edited:
I seen the cough silencer years ago on the outdoor channel. Never got one. My method is if I sense one coming is to take an extra sweatshirt or jacket out of my pack and cough into that if I don't have time then I pull my coat over my face
This works great! Loosely roll an extra jacket into a ball and cough or sneeze away.
Good luck!

I listened to a herd of elk come towards me some years back right before dusk and I fought the cough as hard as I could and at the very worst time it came out, end of story.
That's my worry: how many times have I had a big bull or buck coming my way that I couldn't see, and NEVER saw because I coughed or sneezed???
Found pic of the Cough Killer which I use and described in previous post. Works for me. YMMV
Also, check out the YouTube video by Ken Nordbeeg titled: Deer Hunting Cough Muffler Suppressor Video URL: . Ken reviews a Cough Muffler....looks like the Cough Killer pictured herein. Ken also reviews a homemade cough suppressor made from a pill bottle with paper towel stuffed inside.

One might also observe in the wild some Libturd dufus with his head up his *** to suppress those coughs. Just pondering.... :) :) :)

open-uri20131020-22461-14fa6tg

I tried to find this and the cough silencer online, but couldn't. I suspect they aren't made any more.