Cougar

A dream hunt for me and a buddy is big toms over hounds

Unfortunately for us in Washington you can no longer hunt bears and cats with hounds here thanks to a certain group of people that have ruined this state since they swarmed here in the early eighties, and they just keep breeding

As I am a grandpa, I realize how special that second photo is to you! That grandson will always remember the day he watched grandpa shoot a lion that he spotted the third time!!! Well done, making memories🤝👍🇺🇸🙏🍺🇺🇸🇺🇸👍
I guarantee he'll remember it, he was saying on the pack out he'll have this memory for the rest of his life, this was his first year hunting and do to his sports schedule only his third day, I told him he only had to wait 3 days to touch what I've waited 48 years

Not much off a story really, I took my oldest grandson on a late buck blacktail hunt in western Washington the weekend before Thanksgiving. I don't put a lot of effort into deer hunting so we left the house just before daylight and got up into the hunting woods well after daylight, almost to where I wanted to be we had a legal spike buck walk right across the road but we decided to pass. We finally made it to where I wanted to be and was just glassing from the truck into an older clearcut when I spotted the cat moving into the bottom of the clearcut working along the edge of the timber. I told my grandson to hand me my rangefinder but by the time he located it the cat had disappeared, I just kept glassing the edges when I spotted him again, this time I was able to range him at 624 yards. Once again he went out of sight and I figured we had blown our chances because I could feel the wind blowing on the back of my neck. We just kept watching the edges when my grandson spotted him at 527. The first shot I actually missed and he just froze in his tracks, second shot did him in. He ran towards us into some thick Christmas trees so we waited and hour before we went to look for him. After the wait we walked in on the trail and worked our way to where we last seen him, after searching for 1½ hours and finding no signs of him what so everi decided to drive back around to where I shot from just to make sure I was looking in the right location. While making our way back through the timber to the trail we just happened to come across him laying dead about 15 yards of the trail, off we had walked in about another 20 yards before leaving the trail we would have walked right to him. The Tom weighed 125 pounds without the guts in him, not sure what they weigh. I shot him with 210 grain Berger VLD bullets from my 30-378 Weatherby Mark 5, ranged with a Gunwerks BR2500 rangefinder
You compliment the old phrase "Bring Enough Gun" that's awesome

Congratulations! Very nice cat. That is great that your grandson was able to experience that and with you! I went to the Bighorns 2018 and got one with hounds. Decided to go full mount, still waiting on it. First taxidermist I brought it to ended up with cancer and passed away. He did manage to get it wet tanned and froze so off it went to another. Maybe this spring I'll get it.

By the way, you say not much of a story, I enjoyed it and it sounds like others did too. 👍

Congratulations! Very nice cat. That is great that your grandson was able to experience that and with you! I went to the Bighorns 2018 and got one with hounds. Decided to go full mount, still waiting on it. First taxidermist I brought it to ended up with cancer and passed away. He did manage to get it wet tanned and froze so off it went to another. Maybe this spring I'll get it.

By the way, you say not much of a story, I enjoyed it and it sounds like others did too. 👍
I could have really stretched the story out