Coues Hunt 2019

Thank you for the information, I have a pair of Meopta 15x56 and Leupold 10x50. I have a Vortex spotting scope but not planning on packing it because I am 64 years old and don't need the extra weight. I am planning on hunting the northwest part of that unit because that is where I Turkey hunted. I have been reading all the information I can find on the internet but there isn't a lot on unit 29.

Thank you for the information, I have a pair of Meopta 15x56 and Leupold 10x50. I have a Vortex spotting scope but not planning on packing it because I am 64 years old and don't need the extra weight. I am planning on hunting the northwest part of that unit because that is where I Turkey hunted. I have been reading all the information I can find on the internet but there isn't a lot on unit 29.
If leave the 10s at camp and take the spotter. I did this move several years ago. I never pack small glasses for Coues, but I find myself using my spotter a lot if we find a deer 800 to OMG even though I have 15x56s.

My buddy and I both applied for Coues tags this year in a prime unit. He drew and I didn't so I'll just be going along to spot and enjoy the experience. Leaving the day after Christmas and am getting more excited every day. Growing up hunting blacktail in Oregon I'm familiar with little deer but the desert country will be a huge change from our rainforests!

The East side of that unit is where Brushy Canyon is but there are deer throughout the entire unit. Don't ignore the lower Desert elevations in the foothills. Look in the Ocotillo and prickly pear infested hills and you will see deer. This unit has a big elevation change and can be very thick and challenging in areas. Don't ignore the Eastside of the unit. I would call game and fish and ask for the name of unit manager. He will definitely share his thoughts and give you some solid advice. These guys are great!

I live in the area and am fortunate to hunt them every year. Been doing it for 37 years in a row. 36b is a quality unit. I'd love to help anyone that comes and is serious about it. Both of these Coues bucks I harvested in the last 5 years. Next best hunt to a sheep hunt and some refer it to the "poor mans sheep hunt". Very tough country but it's so beautiful.

View attachment 162479 View attachment 162480

Those are some good looking bucks

Congrats on the Coues hunting trip. I have a unit 29 late season tag and due to having to travel so far won't be going until after Christmas. I had a turkey tag this spring and got my turkey first morning so didn't get to see much of the area but was excited about seeing Coues deer for the first time so I put in and drew a tag. I was wondering if anyone has hunted that unit and had any information they could share on the best areas to check out for the late season.
Unit 29 gets hammered in the early hunts. If you can glass from the roads so can everyone else, which is what most people do. The rut dosen't kick in usually until after Christmas anyway, but I saw a nice old buck with does in early November and heard from a friend that he saw something similar about the same time. The whole unit is good, but steep and you have to work hard for a nice buck unless you get lucky, which happens. Seems like most people hit Pinery Canyon and on the Portal side of the road. I hunted it in the early December hunt last year and camped out all but 2 days (9 days) and finally my brother and I shot meat bucks after seeing nothing but small bucks. Without scouting it the best strategy is to find hard steep spots and climb a couple miles away from roads where there's water on the map. Water is everywhere now but the summer was dry. With the rut you may get lucky. I lived in SE Arizona and hunted this area 46 years. Never shot a booner, but shot some good bucks there. I wish I had hunted for trophies when I was younger. You might be surprised at the deer in the thick stuff. With the few tags and the rut some of those hard hunted areas will likely start getting the older smarter survivor bucks starting to chase the does.

That's awesome congrats we are some the lucky few that get to hunt sneaky little deer from August until January I truly hope everyone gets at least one chance to hunt them

Only biologists and folks who have read about them pronounce it 'cows'. Never met a single serious hunter who says it that way. I have killed 30+ and I know guys that have killed 50 or more and go several times every year.

What's the deer season in Mexico, or is there one?

It's up to the rancher/landowner. The ranch we have been going to in Sonora lets us hunt November- February. Generally the 10th of January is peak of the rut and buck will be moving. Down side is that they hardly ever stand still!

Going to Chihuahua this year. Might be slightly different.

It's up to the rancher/landowner. The ranch we have been going to in Sonora lets us hunt November- February. Generally the 10th of January is peak of the rut and buck will be moving. Down side is that they hardly ever stand still!

Going to Chihuahua this year. Might be slightly different.
Any hassles going across the border with firearms?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.