Coues Deer Brief Fight

Ahhh yes, coues deer...the little people of the deer family.
Reminds me of this:

Attachments

• 4FB96C8D-68FD-4DC8-B591-5AEB8B1B9EC7.gif
    4FB96C8D-68FD-4DC8-B591-5AEB8B1B9EC7.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 151
Nice. Shouldn't you be mearns hunting or something? <grin>

I'll bet the rut really gets going after this storm! I see Sonoita will be 15 degrees tomorrow morning!

I always hear about how difficult coues deer hunting (at least for a good buck) can be. Lots of glassing for a small target over difficult terrain, basically looking for that needle in a haystack. You Sir make it look easy!:D

That looked alot more aggressive than the sparring of young bucks. I'd be marking those areas for next season and never showing my friends those videos.

So here is a coues deer that scores 180" it's at the Safari Club Headquarters in Tucson.

It was shot by Bob (fake name). Bob is a well known guide for Coues Deer. The game and fish tried to get him for poaching but lost in a criminal conviction. They tried him in civil court and I don't know what he lost. He didn't lose the rights to the deer. From what I heard, he donated it to SCI. I am not sure why it's not considered a world record for B&C, maybe Bob didn't enter it.

Rumor has it that Bob shot it a day early (maybe) or on the Indian Reservation. I guess him and his partner got in a fight about it because it was already frozen hanging in the shop around opening day. All rumor. :).

Attachments

• IMG_9089.PNG
    IMG_9089.PNG
    181 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
That looked alot more aggressive than the sparring of young bucks. I'd be marking those areas for next season and never showing my friends those videos.

Yeah that one buck was very aggressive. I was surprised that the lower buck was able stop that charging buck.

I always hear about how difficult coues deer hunting (at least for a good buck) can be. Lots of glassing for a small target over difficult terrain, basically looking for that needle in a haystack. You Sir make it look easy!:D

Thanks
Couple quick pointers, spotting scopes are for counting inches on a rack. Big eyes (binos) are king 15x56 anything HD and have to be on a tripod. Water even in the rut/winter. Elevation with cover and just a little bit of hiking or pockets that get overlooked by hunters.

Glass in a grid pattern and take your hands off the tripod and make sure your body is not touching any part of the tripod. Keep the glass still for 10-20 seconds.

My two cents

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.