Costly purchase

Archer357

So, months ago, I was at local reloading shop. Saw some boxes of primers on counter. Large rifle magnum. $119.99 for the 1000 primers. I thought to my self, pricey, but I'm running low. Maybe I should get these and have them verses not being able to find any when I need them. So I got them. Put the box in my cabinet. Many months later I pull the primers out and the large rifle magnum primers turn out to be a 10 boxes of small pistol primers. Now I have a 1000 primers I can't use. I'm going run by reloading store tomorrow and see if they will help. I believe I got these on consignment. Not sure what to do.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Have your supplier give you store credit . When the primers that you want come in have your the supplier hold then the 1 ST primers you want they get.

I found 8,000 CCI, Federal, and Winchester small rifle and small mag rifle in the attic when I retired from DHS/CBP. I was pretty deep in pistol and large rifle too. I think I probably paid around $30 per thousand. I took them to gunshows in 2020 and 2021. I traded even up for primers they were asking $150 for. I also traded them for bullets, powder and brass. If you don't get you money back you can still trade them for something of equal value.

I found 8,000 CCI, Federal, and Winchester small rifle and small mag rifle in the attic when I retired from DHS/CBP. I was pretty deep in pistol and large rifle too. I think I probably paid around $30 per thousand. I took them to gunshows in 2020 and 2021. I traded even up for primers they were asking $150 for. I also traded them for bullets, powder and brass. If you don't get you money back you can still trade them for something of equal value.
I too, have been able to trade primers for extremely hard to get powders, including 36# rl-23. I learned years ago to buy all I could afford and they have 5 times value when I need a trade.

Hate to admit it, but I recently bought a brick of small rifle for $115, thinking I was almost out, but shortly after found 1200 that I had stashed in a different location to avoid having so many all together. Price tag on them was $35. Doh! I think primers will eventually come back down to about .06-.07 each.

I think primers will eventually come back down to about .06-.07 each.
I agree. Companies will want to keep turning out a minimum volume of primers through whatever demand crash will follow this. They need to keep QC and staffing at a sustainable level that will let them keep making money during the lean times, but be ready to survive another boom time. A logical business answer is sell more volume at a lower marginal profit to keep the net the same during the lean times, stack some inventory and cash, and be willing to run at a paper loss for a bit if you can float it.

Boom times are not always great for companies. Max production is hard on people and equipment, it's not hard to start a death spiral of overworking people then losing people, overworking or skimping on maintenance and losing machines, all the sudden costs jump at the same time production drops, customers bail to someone with lead times that meet their demands. Very easy to go bust during a boom if a company doesn't have the self-control to work at a sustainable level.

I run a service business, right now I'm turning away new work because I don't have capacity to service it correctly - sure I could probably get a revenue bump right now if I said yes to everyone who came knocking but if that short-term gain costs me any people I'm screwed down the line. In my business it's much easier to keep the staff happy rather than replacing them and their skills, that keeps the clients happy, and the staff and the clients are more likely to stick with me over a few bumps during the next cycle because they know I'm filling in the valleys during the lean time by shaving mountaintops when things ramp up.

Just ran across thes thread. If you still have those prinmers it might be time to buy a new pistol so you can use them!!!