Cost vs. Quality vs. Brand

blb078

I'm getting ready to buy a pack, tent, & sleeping bag for my first backpacking elk hunt in the fall. While I don't have a problem buying some of the expensive items that are made by some of the more well known companies such as Big Agnes, Mont Bell, Eberlestock, etc. I keep wondering how much different their items are compared to a company like Kelty, Eureka, or companies similar to them who make the the same items I'm getting ready to buy at a much cheaper price. I don't have an problem spending the extra money but is a BA tent is really going to keep me dryer or stand up better to the weather than a Kelty or Eureka tent, same when it comes to bags, and packs. Based on some of the reviews I see of the mid rage brands their items aren't that bad. So I guess what I'm asking in the end is it really worth it for me to buy the more expensive items?

blb078-----Well, my belief is still "you get what you pay for." It always seems to me that you always upgrade anyway, so you may as well start with the best. Most of the time, its expensive for a reason. Sure, you can always get by with cheaper stuff---just depends on how much you want to suffer. As far as backpacking gear goes, the smaller and lighter it is, the more it costs.
So my advice to you is go as light as you can and buy the best. You'll have a blast hunting like you want to. Also, go over to rokslide.com----there is a lot of info over there as well as some of the ultralight and light backpacking sites.
Have fun and start saving money!

Randy

I look for Quality at any price & some times it does cost less. I use a Kelty tent & it is a quality product same goes with eberlestock pack & North Face sleeping bag & yes Coleman has Quality stuff & some junk just like they all do. Trailspace.com has good gear reviews for gear.

I go for midrange products. I feel they are just as good as the top brands. I would like to believe you get what you pay for, but anymore it seems like you get the name that you pay for.

I go for midrange products. I feel they are just as good as the top brands. I would like to believe you get what you pay for, but anymore it seems like you get the name that you pay for.

That's kind of my thinking, and my approach to a lot of hunting stuff I buy. Under Armour is a good example of paying for the name in my opinion.

A brand I've been impressed with lately is Field and Stream. From what I can tell it's one of those brands that another company makes their gear and just throws their name on it. Who ever makes their gear seems to be doing a good job though. The best part is the gear is reasonably priced.

I know Dick's Sporting Goods carries the brand. I don't know who else though.

I'm getting ready to buy a pack, tent, & sleeping bag for my first backpacking elk hunt in the fall. While I don't have a problem buying some of the expensive items that are made by some of the more well known companies such as Big Agnes, Mont Bell, Eberlestock, etc. I keep wondering how much different their items are compared to a company like Kelty, Eureka, or companies similar to them who make the the same items I'm getting ready to buy at a much cheaper price. I don't have an problem spending the extra money but is a BA tent is really going to keep me dryer or stand up better to the weather than a Kelty or Eureka tent, same when it comes to bags, and packs. Based on some of the reviews I see of the mid rage brands their items aren't that bad. So I guess what I'm asking in the end is it really worth it for me to buy the more expensive items?

Where are you going elk hunting? What time of the year? If you are looking at September-Early October, I wouldn't get a tent. I would go with a Hennessy Hammock. 1000% more comfortable than sleeping on the ground and about 10% of the weight of even the lightest tent.

The Eureka Alpenlite 2XT person is a 4-season tent that will take about anything thrown at it and Eureka has a factory second online shop. You can sometimes pick one up very cheap. Usually just a paint spot or something on the tent.

I use two Marmot sleeping bags. Early fall, I use the Sawtooth 20 degree and later, I'll go with the Never Summer 0 degree. Both are down, light and pack real small.

If you have any specific questions, ask away. Most all my hunting is backpack hunting in Western Montana and Idaho.

Last edited:
Check out Golite. They are now direct with some good prices on some quality gear. Also check out Rokslide.com. It's a site for people who live for backpack hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.