Cost to open up CRF Winchester 70?

Rifleman97

I've got a 30-06 M70 I'm thinking about rebarreling. I was wondering what the cost would be to open up the face from .473 to the .532 bolt face (WSM/RUM/PRC/Nosler size bolt face) in order to rebarrel it in something with a bit more oomph.

I know what the cost should be for the barrel, but I've never had a bolt face opened up before, and I couldn't find any info on opening up a controlled round feed bolt face, and if it would be cheaper to just find a cheap used WSM donor gun for the project.

Not a problem, BUT the claw extractor also needs replacing, the feed rails need widening and the follower will need replacing.
A simple job becomes complicated quick.
For all of that on my last Win Model 70 the cost blew out due to rampant price gouging.
The follower was $125, the extractor was $100. The opening of the bolt face was $150 and the feed rails work was $200.
Adding it all up makes me cringe.
Talking price gouging, I just paid the same amount for a bolt replacement that the ENTIRE action would have cost normally, $675!!

Cheers.

Not a problem, BUT the claw extractor also needs replacing, the feed rails need widening and the follower will need replacing.
A simple job becomes complicated quick.
For all of that on my last Win Model 70 the cost blew out due to rampant price gouging.
The follower was $125, the extractor was $100. The opening of the bolt face was $150 and the feed rails work was $200.
Adding it all up makes me cringe.
Talking price gouging, I just paid the same amount for a bolt replacement that the ENTIRE action would have cost normally, $675!!

Cheers.
Ouch, yeah probably better off just buying one of the synthetic stock wsm guns as a donor gun then if I want to go the CRF route. A shame cause I really like this action, but for that money I'd rather just buy a trued 700 LA action and a trigger to be able to run a full sized 300 rum. Thanks for the info.

Big Horn Origin is $825. I'd pay the extra over the $575+price of the action outlined above. Might be able to get away without touching the feed rails or doing it yourself and going slowly. I didn't have to touch the rails on my origin for 6.5 PRC.

If you can do without the CRF, I've seen the entry level push feed model 70's in WSM on gunbroker for low prices. I'd do that and use it as a donor action if you're set on a factory action. Even a used CRF with a shot out WSM barrel might be cheaper based on the price of parts for the extractor, follower, etc from Winchester.

Last edited:
I would just start with a magnum m70crf. Short if you want to run short mags or long to run the big mags.

Or go to a sherman cartridge on the action you have, get you a bit more out of your current action.

A decent smith can easily open the bolt face and trim back the extractor. But I would discourage the short mag. The extra fatness can be a real bugger. In a 30 a 308 norma or 300 win mag would be much much easier. You can also drill the spacer out of the magazine. Trim back the ejector and mill the rear bridge back to 375 spec and have a 3.6 box. Long throat the 300 win and have a great gun. I did this to a 06 super grade and made a 308 norma. Now I have a great gun.

Don't be stupid. Either buy a new H&H length model 70, preferably a RUM chambering, or spend some time with a loading manual that has data for the .30-06 Ackley Improved.

Think the component shortage situation won't be long-lasting? How long you figure to wait for a barrel blank and gunsmithing time to set you up? There is not much light at the end of this tunnel for custom gunsmithing services or loading supplies.

The .30 Gibbs is another option. Pretty much a hot-rod 06 with much extended case body. In love with velocity? Gonna feel real stupid burning-out your throat on that custom barrel in under a thousand rounds. Gonna be "testing" bullets, powders, primers to find that sweet spot? Not much left in terms of barrel life after an exercise in that stupidity.

Study the good loading manuals and search for info on the Gibbs. The 06 has lots of value. If you must go with more than an improved neck reaming, might look at the .30/284... This one gets you .30-06 performance in shorter, wider case allowing VLD bullet seating optimums.

Look at what can be done without all the gunsmithing bills... The AI'd 06 can still fire factory O6 ammo and often with all original accuracy. Maintaining all the benefits of the 06 over big magnums is a decision worth weighing. 06 barrel life is very high. Flexibility of powders and charges also very high. Brass is traditionally easy to find or neck-up some .270win...

Might think about going switch-barrel... The 06 can be necked from .24cal all the way to .40cal. Have a few barrels and stocks for when you want to shoot another configuration. Nothing against gunsmiths, but the .30-06 AI when loaded with 180gr and heavier bullets will be right there with the .300win mag. If you MUST have a magnum, the .300winnie won't require anything more than a boltface opened-up and extractor. The even shorter bodied .30-338 was a traditional longrange shooters favorite. The .30-06 AI offers a lot of gain for the money. If you find a .300wby chambered stainless mod 70 classic, you're in business and should be able to sell your 06 if you haven't done mods to it...

Study the loading manuals even if you have to buy a few. Altering a standard action and going with a custom barrel runs into real money. Might just shoot the barrel out on your 06 and learn the potentials while you wait on your barrel blank. The 06 can do almost anything and ammo (at one time) could be found almost anywhere.

Magnum fever don't really get you much. The 06 is a favorite with cast bullet shooters. Not much can match it for versatility and powder efficiency. If you got all your brass and components sitting around gathering dust for your magnum of choice, that's another consideration. Most guys won't think that far ahead. Try finding magnum brass, primers, and powders NOW; and price them along with a new rifle or all that gunsmithing work... You already have a great rifle and hopefully some loading gear and components. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater?

A decent smith can easily open the bolt face and trim back the extractor. But I would discourage the short mag. The extra fatness can be a real bugger. In a 30 a 308 norma or 300 win mag would be much much easier. You can also drill the spacer out of the magazine. Trim back the ejector and mill the rear bridge back to 375 spec and have a 3.6 box. Long throat the 300 win and have a great gun. I did this to a 06 super grade and made a 308 norma. Now I have a great gun.
I thought about the Norma but I thought that was the lapua sized bolt face, figured that would be too big to fit on the -06 bolt. Was considering 30 nosler or 300 Dakota since I'm not a big fan of going belted cartridges if I have an option not to. I don't really have a problem with them per se, I'd just prefer beltless since I can get literally anything chambered. 30 nosler has the same OAL as the 30-06, and I have a bit of room for longer rounds in my mag. Plus if I remember right, the Dakota has a slightly wider face than the nosler does.
Its got me thinking though.

To Edward, I'm not worried about barrel life, I'm trying to push my range out to 1800 yards and my 30-06 doesn't have enough velocity for that. I max out my scope and still don't have enough. If I go up to 30 nosler or 300 Dakota, I'd have enough for it. I've got a place to shoot that goes out to roughly 1800, and my goal is to be able to hit a 24" gong at that range consistently. Barrels are replaceable. In fact, once I shoot out a barrel it's easy to change chambering, meaning I can try all kinds of things! As for reloading components, I already have a brick of magnum federal primers. I'm considering just building a magnum dedicated long range rig but I thought I would entertain the idea of modifying one of the guns I have now, which is why I'm interested in the cost of having the bolt face opened up.

I thought about the Norma but I thought that was the lapua sized bolt face, figured that would be too big to fit on the -06 bolt. Was considering 30 nosler or 300 Dakota since I'm not a big fan of going belted cartridges if I have an option not to. I don't really have a problem with them per se, I'd just prefer beltless since I can get literally anything chambered. 30 nosler has the same OAL as the 30-06, and I have a bit of room for longer rounds in my mag. Plus if I remember right, the Dakota has a slightly wider face than the nosler does.
Its got me thinking though.

To Edward, I'm not worried about barrel life, I'm trying to push my range out to 1800 yards and my 30-06 doesn't have enough velocity for that. I max out my scope and still don't have enough. If I go up to 30 nosler or 300 Dakota, I'd have enough for it. I've got a place to shoot that goes out to roughly 1800, and my goal is to be able to hit a 24" gong at that range consistently. Barrels are replaceable. In fact, once I shoot out a barrel it's easy to change chambering, meaning I can try all kinds of things! As for reloading components, I already have a brick of magnum federal primers. I'm considering just building a magnum dedicated long range rig but I thought I would entertain the idea of modifying one of the guns I have now, which is why I'm interested in the cost of having the bolt face opened up.
You are thinking of the 300 norma. It is a shortened 338 lapua case. The 308 norma is very similar to the old 30x338 wildcat. The model 70 can be made to work with the nosler or dakota but a LOT of magazine work. Do as you wish but I would stay with the H&H case.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.