Cost of Reloading - Pre-Covid Vs Post Covid

Everything is more expensive, and until we get through the long term supply chain effects of COVID they will remain inflated. 1 sheet of plywood is $60, a 8' 2x4 is $8-10, paint is more, food is more, Copper is through the roof and what do they use to make bullets, labor is up. Cars and trucks are through the roof. My 2019 Diesel truck is worth more than what the MSRP was when it was new. I bought it for $63700 new, MSRP was 73100 and I was offered $77000 cash for it 2 weeks ago by a large car dealer. It's not good but things are starting to come back down. Demand has to subside for prices to come back to Pre-covid prices. Once things start sitting on shelves, in warehouses, on lots, etc then prices will come down, until then they will remain inflated. My cost to shoot has definitely gone up but it's my passion and it's not going to stop me.

Last edited:
I have a 1981 Jeep CJ-7 that I bought new for $10,300 and it's in original condition. This past week-end a man offered me $10,000 for the vehicle and I wouldn't sell. I was in a real need for primers this spring and I made a deal with a friend for a brick of Federal 210M large rifle primers where I worked for him and I traded $100 worth of labor for the primers. It was good for him and good for me.

I think your math is a little off. As far as I know AB bullets come in boxes of 50 so at $40 that's .80 ($40/50=.80) cents per bullet not .25 ($40/160=.25). Primers for 215M are closer to .15 ea around here. Then you have .23 cents per case not .20 assuming 5X loads. So you come out at $158.25 per 75 rounds or $2.11 per round right now price and $1.42 per round prior to 2020.

That amounts to a 67% increase in component costs. Then when you figure out your time spent having to chase down components, fuel driving to various shops, taxes or Hazmat and shipping I imagine there is more than a 100% increase in component costs. Don't forget that equipment costs have gone up as well, so for a person trying to get in the game it's pretty expensive.
I caught the bullet price as well... 😂....however the retail price on 20 shells has also risen dramatically still leaving reloading cost effective...just not as effective as it was 18 months ago....but compared to building materials.....YOIKES!....shoot more saw less!

I have a 1981 Jeep CJ-7 that I bought new for $10,300 and it's in original condition. This past week-end a man offered me $10,000 for the vehicle and I wouldn't sell. I was in a real need for primers this spring and I made a deal with a friend for a brick of Federal 210M large rifle primers where I worked for him and I traded $100 worth of labor for the primers. It was good for him and good for me.
You forgot the extra 10,000.00 you put in it to keep it in original condition...lol

First, I hope we can have just a cost discussion and not HIJACK this thread into a vilification of certain on-line sellers.

So reading all the threads on primers, powders etc and decided to put to paper costs to see how bad the difference is and I was a little bit surprised by the numbers. We can take unique cartridges and use them as why costs have sky rocketed but I decided to use a bread and butter load that a lot of folks have used.
300WM
200AB
RL26@75 grains/load = 93 loads/lb of powder (7,000 gr/lb) - pulled a normal load and not a primer pocket killer
FM215 standard primers - 1K box of primers
Hornady brass - 50 count and used simple 5X loads on each piece - we can argue this all day but just for demo purposes.

Assume purchased at LGS since HAZMAT costs are not standard. No sales tax just raw pricing. I still can buy and bought some 200AB at exact same price as before. I used Hornady brass just as a place holder. Pick your own and put in. Primer costs are the main complaint but reality the lowest cost of the loaded round. We can say their costs have doubled but is that a "so what" when going from $0.04 to $0.07? Brass and powder are bigger increased costs. But the powder costs seem to be only outrageous on line since I bought some 4000MR last week at LGS for $35/lb. My issue with on line is if LGS can sell powder at $35 just LAST WEEK, why can't on line sellers do so as well.? Just an observation and curious why there is such a disparity when on line sellers have greater buying power? Brass is another issue since metal costs have sky rocketed and virgin brass costs are rising faster than a lot of other metals so not surprised there at all.
Again let's not HIJACK this thread into a vilification of certain on-line sellers.

So how has your cost per round gone up based upon your component costs?

BulletBrassPowderPrimerCosts
200 ABHornady (50)1lb RL261K FM215
Pre-Covid$40.00$49.00$35.00$40.00
per loaded round$0.25$1.00$0.04
Assume 5x loads$0.20
Assume 75 gr/load = 93 loads$0.38
Cost/load$0.87
20 rounds$17.40
Post-Covid$40.00$58.00$70.00$70.00
per loaded round$0.25$1.16$0.07
Assume 5x loads$0.20
Assume 75 gr/load=93 loads$0.81$1.33
20 rounds$26.60
Assume powder and primers are purchased at LGS to make it simple comparison since HAZMAT cost is not standard.
Thanks much. Your premise and point is spot on! It is so easy to get off into the weeds and loose sight of what is really important.

First, I hope we can have just a cost discussion and not HIJACK this thread into a vilification of certain on-line sellers.

So reading all the threads on primers, powders etc and decided to put to paper costs to see how bad the difference is and I was a little bit surprised by the numbers. We can take unique cartridges and use them as why costs have sky rocketed but I decided to use a bread and butter load that a lot of folks have used.
300WM
200AB
RL26@75 grains/load = 93 loads/lb of powder (7,000 gr/lb) - pulled a normal load and not a primer pocket killer
FM215 standard primers - 1K box of primers
Hornady brass - 50 count and used simple 5X loads on each piece - we can argue this all day but just for demo purposes.

Assume purchased at LGS since HAZMAT costs are not standard. No sales tax just raw pricing. I still can buy and bought some 200AB at exact same price as before. I used Hornady brass just as a place holder. Pick your own and put in. Primer costs are the main complaint but reality the lowest cost of the loaded round. We can say their costs have doubled but is that a "so what" when going from $0.04 to $0.07? Brass and powder are bigger increased costs. But the powder costs seem to be only outrageous on line since I bought some 4000MR last week at LGS for $35/lb. My issue with on line is if LGS can sell powder at $35 just LAST WEEK, why can't on line sellers do so as well.? Just an observation and curious why there is such a disparity when on line sellers have greater buying power? Brass is another issue since metal costs have sky rocketed and virgin brass costs are rising faster than a lot of other metals so not surprised there at all.
Again let's not HIJACK this thread into a vilification of certain on-line sellers.

So how has your cost per round gone up based upon your component costs?

BulletBrassPowderPrimerCosts
200 ABHornady (50)1lb RL261K FM215
Pre-Covid$40.00$49.00$35.00$40.00
per loaded round$0.25$1.00$0.04
Assume 5x loads$0.20
Assume 75 gr/load = 93 loads$0.38
Cost/load$0.87
20 rounds$17.40
Post-Covid$40.00$58.00$70.00$70.00
per loaded round$0.25$1.16$0.07
Assume 5x loads$0.20
Assume 75 gr/load=93 loads$0.81$1.33
20 rounds$26.60
Assume powder and primers are purchased at LGS to make it simple comparison since HAZMAT cost is not standard.
When I started reloading in 1969 I did the cost analysis like you did and over the years I have tried better and more costly components. As some have mentioned now that over time results take experimentation with various components and the costs have definitely risen. I have not done a cost analysis in quite some time. I have had to work with powders and components I have never used before and at adjusted costs. Your best loads in any given firearm is not the first directive as a reloader.

I caught the bullet price as well... 😂....however the retail price on 20 shells has also risen dramatically still leaving reloading cost effective...just not as effective as it was 18 months ago....but compared to building materials.....YOIKES!....shoot more saw less!

If you look and get lucky there are still deals to be had. I'll admit I've been pretty lucky this last year. I bought 400 rounds of 6mm CM a case of 105 gr Hornady Black and a case of Barnes Vor-TX 95 gr LRX for $450 last October. In June Midway gave me a birthday discount and I got a case of 150 grain PPU .308 Win for $160 and 60 rounds each of Barnes Vor-TX 168 and 130 gr .308 1for $180

You forgot the extra 10,000.00 you put in it to keep it in original condition...lol

My Jeep CJ-7 has a lot of Ford parts so I have to keep my tool box handy! The transmission, transfer case and ignition system were all made by Ford. But, it's made ten trips to Colorado and one to Wyoming and hauled about 100 deer so it's been worth the trouble. Only had it stuck one time, and when a Jeep is stuck it's really stuck. Front bumper on the ground, tow bar on the ground and two wheels in the air. Getting into the Jeep is kind of like climbing on a horse and it doesn't feel right unless I have a Model 70 handy. When someone wants to buy the Jeep I always end the conversation by asking if they have any powder and primers for sale.
IMG_4035.JPG

Last edited:
My Jeep CJ-7 has a lot of Ford parts so I have to keep my tool box handy! The transmission, transfer case and ignition system were all made by Ford. But, it's made ten trips to Colorado and one to Wyoming and hauled about 100 deer so it's been worth the trouble. Only had it stuck one time, and when a Jeep is stuck it's really stuck. Front bumper on the ground, tow bar on the ground and two wheels in the air. Getting into the Jeep is kind of like climbing on a horse and it doesn't feel right unless I have a Model 70 handy. When someone wants to buy the Jeep I always end the conversation by asking if they have any powder and primers for sale.View attachment 286674
Got any extra powder or primers?

My Jeep CJ-7 has a lot of Ford parts so I have to keep my tool box handy! The transmission, transfer case and ignition system were all made by Ford. But, it's made ten trips to Colorado and one to Wyoming and hauled about 100 deer so it's been worth the trouble. Only had it stuck one time, and when a Jeep is stuck it's really stuck. Front bumper on the ground, tow bar on the ground and two wheels in the air. Getting into the Jeep is kind of like climbing on a horse and it doesn't feel right unless I have a Model 70 handy. When someone wants to buy the Jeep I always end the conversation by asking if they have any powder and primers for sale.View attachment 286674

GREAT DEER !!!!!!

Really nice Jeep , also .

To me, no matter how expensive reloading gets it will always be chaeaper than factory ammo and it will always be far better ammo, fit to a specific gun. It also has the very large advnatage that when you can't find factory ammo anywhere you can still make it at home. I am a big believer in keeping a large stock of supplies around to get past supply shortages like we are seeing now, and it does have the benefit of keeping costs lower by buying quantity at the right times. Hope you all manage to find what you need.

I have no dog in this fight, I reload and I buy ammunition. My point was the math was simply off. I also mentioned time needs to be a cost factored in, as all our time is worth something. Especially as parents and children age, and jobs demand more of us. Sometimes time is cheap, most of the time it isn't.
Agreed but I'm an old retired fart so I don't consider time a factor for me. Reloading and shooting are often the high points in my week. LOL.