Cost of full custom rifle but on budget?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the barrel - I recently came across their site and for the money, I'm definitely tempted to try out a Tikka Pre-fit. Just haven't been able to find much in terms of reviews.

That is part of the reason I ordered. The few things I can find look positive, and Lee the owner was helpful and seemed very knowledgeable when I called to ask questions and order. I also like to be a bit different so having a custom rifle on a howa action with a Howage style barrel is definitely different. Fingers crossed it turns out well.

I believe u are doing yourself a real disservice if u dont contact benchmark barrels about your project. They are building what i and many others believe are THE premium barrels . Competition shows it. They dont advertize so their prices are very reasonable. I would also recomment a tikka action. Gr8 bunch of people, all shooters and hunters. They tell me that i am their number one client in numbers of rifles /barrels they have built for me. I have never been dissapointed. Good luck, good hunting!
Better than Bartlein or Hawk Hill Customs?

Better than Bartlein or Hawk Hill Customs?

Not to answer for tooth doc but Benchmark has great barrels which are button rifled but they also make cut rifled now, Bartlein and HawkHill also make excellent cut rifled Barrels, Ive used all three brands and cant really say ones better than the other, it really is about attention to detail and quality control and by all accounts all three have that, I have used about 3 dozen Benchmark barrels and they have been great to deal with.

The HawkHill barrels I have used so far have been amazingly accurate, I would like to use more of them but not always the easiest to get where I live.

Why not just get a Seekins PH-1 . Custom action, barrel and stock. Glen has the best warranty in the business.

I once wanted to stick with Factory (rifle and ammo), so I bought a Remington 700 SPS stainless in 300 RUM . I had it pillar bedded/floated, Timney trigger added, then shot 20 NECO Fire Lap rounds with the "Fine" grit. I also had it braked. Shooting Nosler factory 180PT ammo,( I found 6 boxes on GB real cheap!) I shot several 3 shot groups off the bench at 100 that went into the 2s & 3s! So, a lot depends on just what you want. For rebarreling, a used Model 700 donor action, a Shilen #2 in 280AI or 6.5 Creedmoor ( LA or SA) add a Trigger Tech Primary, pillar bed it in a stock of your choice, get after it. There will always be a snob somewhere that will say "your" rifle is "not really a custom". Just smile and have fun, Life is too short! :)
Full Custom (to this ol guy) used to mean a rifle that was not available in any store. with todays components. actions & barrels, 500yds 1 MOA is found in many factory rifles, that was my point. My "first" custom on the cheap, was a Mod 70 FWT PF in 7x57 that would not shoot. I sent it off to Gary Stiles and he rebarreled it with a 30-06 Douglas Premium cut to 23" ( I compromised, ha) It shot the Hornady LM 180sp at 2910 and I killed my first cow elk with it. It never shot under 1 1/4" at 100, but it handled like pointing your finger. To me, it was a custom. Have a ball pard!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.