Cost for chambering a barrel

nddodd

I'm getting a new 300 win mag and wanting to re-chamber it to a 300 ultra mag. What would the average cost be to have this done. If you were having this done would you go ahead and have the smith to true the face and threads up on the action. If so what's the average cost for that as well.

Thanks,
Nathan

I'm getting a new 300 win mag and wanting to re-chamber it to a 300 ultra mag. What would the average cost be to have this done. If you were having this done would you go ahead and have the smith to true the face and threads up on the action. If so what's the average cost for that as well.

Thanks,
Nathan
If you have the threads 'trued-up" in the action, the barrel will no longer fit as the threads in the action will be too big!

What I understand about that is when rechambering they actually set the entire chamber forward a little, cutting some of the old threading and material off the barrel and rethread the entire barrel for the perfect fit into the chamber. The smith I was talking to said the amount cut off of the barrel depends on what chamber is in the gun and what chamber it going to be reemed. It was a small amount in the 1/8-1/2" range. I didn't talk money with him.

What I understand about that is when rechambering they actually set the entire chamber forward a little, cutting some of the old threading and material off the barrel and rethread the entire barrel for the perfect fit into the chamber. The smith I was talking to said the amount cut off of the barrel depends on what chamber is in the gun and what chamber it going to be reemed. It was a small amount in the 1/8-1/2" range. I didn't talk money with him.
As the head of the UM is quite a bit larger (.015") than the base and belt of the Win Mag, no set back should be required. (other than to reduce the 'factory' distance between the bolt and counter bore in the barrel)

Thanks fellas, hey shortgrass I had you build a 7stw for me about 5 years ago. You did a great job on it, shot lights out man. What would you suggest I do, just re chamber and let that be it. What would you charge to do this, or would you do this? If so when could you do it and what would the turn around be?

Thanks for the help fellas,
Nathan Dodd

It's getting toward my bed time. Watch for a PM tomorrow morning. The re-chambering is the 'simple' part. There are several other considerations to deal with when going from a mag to a UM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.