cost and equipment needed to form brass

ishootkittens

Hey guys, really looking into getting a 300 lapua or some sort of 30-338 lapua imp. How hard is it to form the brass from the standard 338 lapua and exactly what does/equipment do I need? Is the AI even worth it?

As always. Thanks fellas.

Is the AI even worth it?.

"Worth it" is an individuals preference, meaning no one but you can answer that. Is an additional 150fps, regardless of time/powder expense what you want? If that answer is yes, then it is worth it for you.

Without knowing the specifics of your chamber, or the cases. My knee-jerk answer is a simple FL die, trim and double check the neck thickness.

I know I didnt provide much info. But I do feel like the "standard" lapua is already very overbore. So the improved idea may be alittle much for a 30 cal. The only reason im thinking of a lapua over the norma is the quality of brass. I feel like going with a "standard" 30-338 lapua would allow me to stay on the less expensive side by not going for custom dies, fireforming, etc.

Thanks again

I know I didnt provide much info. But I do feel like the "standard" lapua is already very overbore. So the improved idea may be alittle much for a 30 cal. The only reason im thinking of a lapua over the norma is the quality of brass. I feel like going with a "standard" 30-338 lapua would allow me to stay on the less expensive side by not going for custom dies, fireforming, etc.

Thanks again

You have two issues you need to think about.

1. You should order your own reamer spec'd to the dies then you plan to use otherwise custom dies may be on order. Talk to Dave Kiff at PTG about your reamer and see what die he recommends to match up with what you want and what resize reamer he sells to the die mftrs.

2. Nothing is cheap with larger cartridges like the 338 Norma and Lapua! Get over it, you will spend the money.

So this so this is a stupid question im sure. But why cant I buy standard 300 lapua dies and run the 338's through em? Then fireform?

You can, ONCE as that will work for fireforming. That is not the question. Maybe they will match up and maybe they will not when you try to resize. Remember, dies are made to SAAMI specs (which is a range of parameters) which may or may not closely match your chamber. I have seen resize dies that were just too large for the fired rounds and would not resize due to the chamber reamer used being smaller. However, die mftrs buy their resize reamers from only several reamer makers. Those reamer makers have the resize reamer specs and can make a chamber reamer that will match.

Go to the reamer mftrs and find out which die makers they sell too and then spec your reamer to match that mftrs set of dies. For example PTG, Dave Kiff sells to Redding.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts