Correcting For Parallax On A Scope W/O Parallax Knob

Wedgy

I was shooting at 600 yards with a VX-6 2-12x42 and had a lot of parallax when moving my head back and forth. The scope is set to be parallax free at 150 yards. I got two different groups trying two techniques; normal cheek weld and 2nd to pull my head back giving more eye relief and centering the exit pupil in the center of the eyepiece. What is the "proper" way to deal with this ? Other than sending the scope back to have it adjusted further out.
Thanks

Make sure the rifle fits you and you have proper check rest in relation to your scope. That will get rid of most of the problem.

Make sure the rifle fits you and you have proper check rest in relation to your scope. That will get rid of most of the problem.

Move the scope forward(or your eye back) so that the sight picture in the scope has the black shadow ring(about 10-20%) at the outer edge of the image. Use this shadow much like the ring of a peep sight with the crosshairs centered. This has worked well for me for consistent eye alignment. Picked this trick up from the BR shooters many years ago.

Make sure your position is good and cheek weld is consistent, and you can help minimize the issue.

Move the scope forward(or your eye back) so that the sight picture in the scope has the black shadow ring(about 10-20%) at the outer edge of the image. Use this shadow much like the ring of a peep sight with the crosshairs centered. This has worked well for me for consistent eye alignment. Picked this trick up from the BR shooters many years ago.

Back in the 1970's Klienguenther guaranteed 1/2" groups. This is almost how he told his customers to use their scopes. He wanted us to shrink the circle down to about half the field of view. Now I would not have a scope that does not have side focus or adjustable objective.

Get a solid black lens cap. Put a hole in the center of the correct size . You now have an Aperture rear sight.

Experement first by taping a piece of paper to the eye piece. Add hole. Paper punch.

Only for Benchrest shooting.

OK, that's what I was doing, moving my head back to get the shadow around the ring and using it like a peep sight.
Thanks !

Yea staying centered is key, but its hard sometimes when different positions are necessary. If you are usually shooting distances further than 150 yd it's also easy to adjust the objective on a Leopold yourself to change the parallax without sending it in to the factory. Take off the locking ring with a strap wrench then you can screw the objective in (to increase the distance where you have zero parallax) a quarter turn or so. Check the parallax as you go by moving your head and screwing the objective in until the reticle stays fixed on a target at the distance you want.

I was shooting at 600 yards with a VX-6 2-12x42 and had a lot of parallax when moving my head back and forth. The scope is set to be parallax free at 150 yards. I got two different groups trying two techniques; normal cheek weld and 2nd to pull my head back giving more eye relief and centering the exit pupil in the center of the eyepiece. What is the "proper" way to deal with this ? Other than sending the scope back to have it adjusted further out.
Thanks

Scopes with more than 8 or 9 power normally have ether a objective or side turret adjust for parallax. I was surprised that there was a 12 power Leupold without any way of adjusting the parallax when I looked at this scope. it has a lighted recital control where the parallax adjustment should be.

Before the side adjustments, scopes with 10 x plus had the objective lens adjustments some call them range focus and others called them Parallax adjustments.

If it were me, I would send it back and get one with a parallax adjustment if you need/want more than 9 power. If you can get them to adjust it farther out, it will be useless at closer distances. You should not have to adjust to the scope, the scope should be adjustable to you under all shooting conditions.

J E CUSTOM

I have scopes with and without parallax adjustments. Each has its place.

Target rifles or long range hunting rifles you want a parallax adjustment

On a fast reaction shorter range rifle like my Georgia hunting rifles where 300 yrds would be an exceptionally long shot I don't want a parallax adjustment. Just something else to be messing with. Sure as $#%! I would have it adjusted looking at a hawk in a tree 500 yrds away and a big buck walks out 40 yrds away and the scope is all blurry.

I have scopes with and without parallax adjustments. Each has its place.

Target rifles or long range hunting rifles you want a parallax adjustment

On a fast reaction shorter range rifle like my Georgia hunting rifles where 300 yrds would be an exceptionally long shot I don't want a parallax adjustment. Just something else to be messing with. Sure as $#%! I would have it adjusted looking at a hawk in a tree 500 yrds away and a big buck walks out 40 yrds away and the scope is all blurry.

I wouldn't own a scope for hunting without a parallax adjustment, but thats just me.

As far as the situation you described above, I simply leave mine on "infinity" and I've never had an issue where the scope was too blurry to affect my shot.

I just think in this day and age of more scope for the money, not having a parallax adjustment as standard fare is almost crazy.

I wouldn't own a scope for hunting without a parallax adjustment, but thats just me.

As far as the situation you described above, I simply leave mine on "infinity" and I've never had an issue where the scope was too blurry to affect my shot.

I just think in this day and age of more scope for the money, not having a parallax adjustment as standard fare is almost crazy.

Opinions vary

That is why they make both kinds

and it isn't just cheap scopes without parallax adjustment. My VX-6 2-12 is that way and i bought it that way intentionally. They are lighter too

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts