Correcting a Garmin Oregon 450T

Rustystud

I have an Oregon 450T and the directional location indicator is approximately 100 yards off the correct location on the 20ft scale topo map. It gets worse with the greater the scale map used. I have tried every known way to correct the location indicator. It is also off when using the Canadian topo maps, blue charts, inland lake maps, and US highway maps.

I called Garmin Customer Service and felt I knew more about the unit than the service tech.

I previously owned a Garmin 3 Plus and a Aviation Garmin. Both were spot on for accuracy.

I feel like I wasted my money as this unit is not as accurate as it should be.

Has anyone else had a simular experience with the Garmin Oregon 450T?

Nat Lambeth
[email protected]

Nate-
I assume you already checked the map datum. If not, and they don't match , the GPS will plot off of the
map location. Most USGS topos are in NAD 83, some WGS 84, it says on the maps.

Already tried different Map formats. Especially since I purchased the maps of Canada, Marine Blue Charts, Inland lakes, and US Hwy Maps. I tried adjusting to different time zones thinking I might be skewing the signal but this did not help. I can go to a know location and the unit is several hundred feet form that location on the internal map.

In comparison to my previous 3 Plus model and my aviation model it sucks for pinpoint accuracy. Their customer support also is poor in my opinion. I feel like their is a problem and I have not gotten in hold of the right person for support. I feel like the problem is in the units cordination between the signal and the map.

My next question is there any mechanical tunability or is the unit hardwired and adjustable through software programing, or is there no adjustablility.

I can not get the Garmin folks to tell me the answer to these questions.

Nat Lambeth

I would try an update of the firmware of the GPS first using Garmin Web Updater on Garmin's website. You could then try setting the GPS to WAAS mode.

Then try to exchange the unit for a different one :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts