Cordless e-fillet knife

On all my bigger fish,salmon, striped bass, sturgeon,halibut, tuna I use a fixed blade knife. But on crappie and rock cod doing 300-400 a week the electric is a big help, the rock cod rib bones are pretty tuff and after being up from 2:00 am running charters every little bit of help to finish out the day quicker and get the boat cleaned up is appreciated.

Last edited:
Will be a bit of work keeping those serrates sharp, as sharp as they need to be for fish!

The time saved filleting might be taken up by actual sharpening as I imagine you need to get in-between each tooth like a saw/chainsaw blade?

I found the key to the electric knives is don't fight them, they may feel dull and cutting slow just back off a little and let the knife work, if you put too much pressure like you do with a regular fillet knife it will not work as good. Just ease up a bit and you will feel it working, after a fish or two you will find the sweet spot then thats when things really smooth out and and you will gain over using a regular knife, you will get in a rhythm.

Will be a bit of work keeping those serrates sharp, as sharp as they need to be for fish!

The time saved filleting might be taken up by actual sharpening as I imagine you need to get in-between each tooth like a saw/chainsaw blade?

I don't sharpen the blades on my chainsaw or mower, I just replace them when they are dull. I will do the same with the fillet knife. Replacement blades are between $15-20 depending on size, it is money well spent for me.

Yes sir too bad for them
Perch is better than crappie
Crappie is a Perch, same as a Walleye is, but I don't mind if you have a preference.
The same electric knife you carve the turkey with will also do well on fish. Assuming you have power of coarse.
About 14 bucks at WalMart, only complaint i have is the cord is a little short.

Crappie is a Perch, same as a Walleye is, but I don't mind if you have a preference.
The same electric knife you carve the turkey with will also do well on fish. Assuming you have power of coarse.
About 14 bucks at WalMart, only complaint i have is the cord is a little short.

You are correct, walleye, perch, and crappie are all in the same scientific classification kingdom, phylum, class, and order but we all know that is not how "we" commonly describe them.

My wife would kill me if I used the same electric knife to carve the turkey and fillet fish. :cool: I actually prefer a carving knife over electric carving knife, and yes a fillet knife will do just fine, as well as my cleaver, ulu, or bolo knife. :D

Life is all about choices, what "we" do with them is entirely up to us. That's the beauty of having plenty of choices and preferences.

There are lots of things we can do without or make do of what "we" have but don't. "Our" rifle/gun inventory is a prime example. I have one electric carving knife and one cordless fillet knife but my rifle/gun inventory is many folds. :rolleyes:

Choices, choices, choices ....................... personal preferences/individualism.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.