Copper vs lead

I would like the groups view on the 180 gr Berger VLD for a 7mm Re mag.I found it quite suitable at a speed of 2565 ft.
Been Hunting Kudu is South Africa up to 300 meters without any problems.

I would like the groups view on the 180 gr Berger VLD for a 7mm Re mag.I found it quite suitable at a speed of 2565 ft.
Been Hunting Kudu is South Africa up to 300 meters without any problems.
I was told by someone at Berger that their bullets were optimized for terminal performance at long distances (Lower velocity). This makes sense as why would you use a high BC specialty bullet if you weren't possibly shooting at a long distance? I am getting 2835 fps with the 175 Berger Elite Hunter from my 280ai. Have not shot anything with it yet. 2565fps seems sluggish from a 7Mag.

I was told by someone at Berger that their bullets were optimized for terminal performance at long distances (Lower velocity). This makes sense as why would you use a high BC specialty bullet if you weren't possibly shooting at a long distance? I am getting 2835 fps with the 175 Berger Elite Hunter from my 280ai. Have not shot anything with it yet. 2565fps seems sluggish from a 7Mag.
Thanks for your input the reason for the lower speed is to avoid meet damage wit a 7 mm.Currently loading 53gr Somcem but busy with load development up to 57gr.This will be done with Ladder testing and Crony speed measurement.Found that purchase stock have a major meat damage results.

Ok so it sounds like the answer is yes with some caveats. Reason is I'm in CA and we are now lead feee (freaking communist here) and plan on a lot more out of state hunting. I'm building a new 308 and thinking that if I can get a 140-150 grain bullet in a solid that is pushing around 2000 FPS Out around 400 yards that would be about equal to my 300WM throwing 180 grain lead bullets out to similar distances... but that is my question.
I don't really see myself going much further then 400 yards with a 308. If I was going longer I would probably take the 300WM with copper bullets in the 165'ish grain.

basically looking for a mule deer and backup elk cartridge. My 300WM is a heavy rifle and not sure I want to carry it 10 miles a day and if I can get similar performance out of a 308 I would be happy to stock an animal for a sub 400 yard shot.

with your 308, depending on barrel length you can get a 155 hammer going pretty well.
i have a 26" barrel and with CFE223 im at 3050. Its a pretty potent combo.

Thanks for your input the reason for the lower speed is to avoid meet damage wit a 7 mm.Currently loading 53gr Somcem but busy with load development up to 57gr.This will be done with Ladder testing and Crony speed measurement.Found that purchase stock have a Amajor meat damage results.

Makes sense. What I was trying to convey is that I am guessing that it is nearly impossible to make a bullet that performs perfectly at 3000fps impact velocity and 2000fps. Berger's are designed to perform way out there. Tuning down for yardage makes sense. I am curious about the Hammer bullets. Have never tried the Barnes LRX,

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.