Copper shortages and price increases

Remember toilet paper, Diesel, Def fluid? What happened? I pay a 1- 1-50$ more now than gas when I pull into the pump but there's still diesel right?
Still toilet paper, still Def fluid and all the rest of the stuff only difference is prices have went way up

Sure there are still supplies. The issue is price and supply stability. I've seen several cycles of this since the 90's. The last three years we've all seen the price increase and supply issues. We'll all see whether this new projection comes to fruition.

We pay for copper based on the commodity rate on the day it ships. Over the last several years we have seen more increase in shipping cost than copper cost. Yet the price of copper wire and plumbing has exponentially increased. Doesn't add up.

After the year of global lockdown copper supply became slow. Before, it would take a month from order to delivery. It then became 6 + months from order to delivery. As of this week we are now being quoted one month delivery.

Needless to say, due to the uncertainty in delivery times, we made there decision to stockpile a year supply of copper. Was a tough bite to chew but we can't risk running out.

We pay for copper based on the commodity rate on the day it ships. Over the last several years we have seen more increase in shipping cost than copper cost. Yet the price of copper wire and plumbing has exponentially increased. Doesn't add up.

After the year of global lockdown copper supply became slow. Before, it would take a month from order to delivery. It then became 6 + months from order to delivery. As of this week we are now being quoted one month delivery.

Needless to say, due to the uncertainty in delivery times, we made there decision to stockpile a year supply of copper. Was a tough bite to chew but we can't risk running out.
That's a tough proposition. But it might work well for you since I don't think China is fully online yet. Oil prices don't seem to reflect them consuming as much as was thought. IF my thinking is correct then my best guess is copper prices will increase as China's production increases. Time will tell.

That's a tough proposition. But it might work well for you since I don't think China is fully online yet. Oil prices don't seem to reflect them consuming as much as was thought. IF my thinking is correct then my best guess is copper prices will increase as China's production increases. Time will tell.
VUCA never makes it easy.

This is all about the mighty..used to be mighty 'DOLLAR'.....do you really think that other countries are paying the same price as the USA customers are......the copper has become a 'speculation' just as they do with crude oils.....it's obvious "they expect us to pay more for everything because we have money in the USA".....
The only fair trade we had was with a business man in the presidency.....yep...
Trump put our dollar up there...because when other countries needed help guess whom sent millions if not billions of dollars to help(which most got pocketed I'm sure)..........but our idiots in government now are "killing the USA".....
Copper bullets.......better learn to pour lead.....and not breathe the fumes....

I am not saying shortages are not real, nor am I accusing any company of wrong doing.
Microeconomics 101, I was young, skinny and had a full head of black hair then...but still remember the lessons:
During supply disruption, price increase is automatic, price decrease when supply returns has a hysteresis (delay)
Two forms of Collusion to raise price, both illegal. Direct (cartels such as OPEC) and indirect, one limits supply, the other follows.
We see it with trucking, trucks sit idle, drivers work half time (not by their choice) and companies say there is not enough trucking available.
Now, when things are "deemed" critical to daily life according to the ruling party of the time, the gonvernment might step in.
Is copper supply disruption real? Probably, but if supply returns, unless you have over supply, prices will not return
just my Friday morning $0.005

Last edited:
Brass is an alloy made from copper 🤷🏼‍♂️. Primer cups are made of brass.

And with that said, brass cases would obviously be affected in the same way, whatever effect that ends up being.
Yep, my narrow focus on copper bullets instead of brass. Curious though if primer brass is using more recycled product versus copper bullet needs.