Copper Jacket

MW204

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a big change in the composition of the copper jacket in today's bullets, especially Nosler since that's what I shoot a lot of?

What kind of change in composition are we speaking of, and how are you measuring such?
Two things. I used to moly coat my bullets, all of them, all brands, with Frankford Moly and I had no problem doing it with a brass tumbler.
I'd clean the new bullets with alcohol, let them dry, and put them in the tumbler with the moly for 30 mins to an hour, and they'd be heavily coated with moly. Today, at least with Noslers, it does not matter what I clean them with, and after drying, I use the same Frankford Moly but it will not stick to copper. It will have a light coat of moly on them but nothing like in the past.
My second evaluation is the amount of copper left in the barrel today compared to what used to be left and I'm talking about bullets that were not moly coated. I shot 5 non-moly Noslers the other day and I had a solid coating of copper from the chamber to the muzzle, which I never had before with just 5 shots in a rifle that is broken in.

Two things. I used to moly coat my bullets, all of them, all brands, with Frankford Moly and I had no problem doing it with a brass tumbler.
I'd clean the new bullets with alcohol, let them dry, and put them in the tumbler with the moly for 30 mins to an hour, and they'd be heavily coated with moly. Today, at least with Noslers, it does not matter what I clean them with, and after drying, I use the same Frankford Moly but it will not stick to copper. It will have a light coat of moly on them but nothing like in the past.
My second evaluation is the amount of copper left in the barrel today compared to what used to be left and I'm talking about bullets that were not moly coated. I shot 5 non-moly Noslers the other day and I had a solid coating of copper from the chamber to the muzzle, which I never had before with just 5 shots in a rifle that is broken in.
I really doubt that the metallurgy has changed but if you're curious you could call and ask them.

They may however have changed their polishing process which would or at least could significantly affect how well the moly sticks to them.

You could tumble them first in carnauba wax which will help the moly stick better and will help you to get a more weather tight seal when you load them.

Moly has a problem with building up in the barrel if it is not cleaned fastidiously and often, that could be another problem.

I use Machinegunner's Lube after a thorough cleaning which puts a micro thin layer of MOS2 to actually treat the barrel that gives the same benefit of moly coating bullets without the problems.

I wet a patch with it thoroughly and run it up and down then one loose dry patch to wipe off the excess and I'm good for a season.

I really doubt that the metallurgy has changed but if you're curious you could call and ask them.

They may however have changed their polishing process which would or at least could significantly affect how well the moly sticks to them.

You could tumble them first in carnauba wax which will help the moly stick better and will help you to get a more weather tight seal when you load them.

Moly has a problem with building up in the barrel if it is not cleaned fastidiously and often, that could be another problem.

I use Machinegunner's Lube after a thorough cleaning which puts a micro thin layer of MOS2 to actually treat the barrel that gives the same benefit of moly coating bullets without the problems.

I wet a patch with it thoroughly and run it up and down then one loose dry patch to wipe off the excess and I'm good for a season.
I have contacted Nosler and I was told there has been no change in any process, but the physical evidence says otherwise. I no longer try to infuse the moly onto the bullets because it doesn't work anymore. When I used it all the time I had a lot less problem with copper fouling and that was the main reason I used it. Since joining LRH I've discovered other ways to reduce that, but when I shot those 5 rds the other day I was shocked to see the barrel coated with copper end to end.

I have contacted Nosler and I was told there has been no change in any process, but the physical evidence says otherwise. I no longer try to infuse the moly onto the bullets because it doesn't work anymore. When I used it all the time I had a lot less problem with copper fouling and that was the main reason I used it. Since joining LRH I've discovered other ways to reduce that, but when I shot those 5 rds the other day I was shocked to see the barrel coated with copper end to end.
Give the Machinegunner's lube a try, I don't think you'd be disappointed.