Copper fouling and accuracy

Smoak352

I went to the range yesterday and brought my 270 with pac-nor barrel. The barrel has been broken in properly and has about 50 rounds through it. I noticed at the range that after cleaning the copper out, my accuracy is not as good for a few shots. After about three shots the group shrinks up to about 3/4" (100 yards). Right after cleaning, the groups are about 1.5".

How long can i go without removing fouling?

Wow, waited a whole 4 hours before you start wondering why nobody has answered you?

The answer will depend on your barrel and only your barrel. It might be 10 it might be 100. You will have to shoot it and see when the groups start to open up.

Thanks for the reply. :rolleyes:

To be more specific, let me ask this. How long do you guys go between cleaning with copper solvent?

I do round count on both of my rifles and they are both different with same pills down the tube with 2 grans difference. One goes to 270 and other one at 310 before spread opens. It's tedious on paper work but it does help knowing how and when to clean. gun)

+1 on what Jack said. It depends on how good a barrel you got from them. I have two barrels by PAC-NOR. One goes 12 rounds and it's done - 300 Ackley Mag. The other 280 Ackley - I have not seen any falloff in accuracy between cleanings. Longest I have let it go between cleanings is apx 20 rounds. I usually use copper solvent at every cleaning.

The 300 Ack barrel is back at PAC-NOR right now being looked at. I told them what it was doing and they said that should not be happening. They have had it almost two months now and I have heard nothing... Hope you have better luck with yours.

When done for the day I run oiled patch twice and clean patch when ready to shoot. Sometimes I snake it out when I forget rod.gun)

I don't clean for copper after barrel break in. Once broken in, I only use M Pro 7.

Kelly McMillan told me to never clean for copper unless it is excessive.

Todd Hodnett has said he never cleans for copper either. He took a 1/4 MOA gun and cleaned all the copper fouling. It turned into a 2 1/2 MOA gun. 45 shots later.....it settled back into a 1/4 MOA gun with no copper cleaning. It's in the Magpul video.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.