Copper fouling and accuracy

I don't clean for copper after barrel break in. Once broken in, I only use M Pro 7.

Kelly McMillan told me to never clean for copper unless it is excessive.

Todd Hodnett has said he never cleans for copper either. He took a 1/4 MOA gun and cleaned all the copper fouling. It turned into a 2 1/2 MOA gun. 45 shots later.....it settled back into a 1/4 MOA gun with no copper cleaning. It's in the Magpul video.

Ok, good to know. Thanks.

So do you guys clean with nitro-solvent between groups or just after a day of shooting?

I went to the range yesterday and brought my 270 with pac-nor barrel. The barrel has been broken in properly and has about 50 rounds through it. I noticed at the range that after cleaning the copper out, my accuracy is not as good for a few shots. After about three shots the group shrinks up to about 3/4" (100 yards). Right after cleaning, the groups are about 1.5".

How long can i go without removing fouling?

Barrels have personalities as different as people. Many shoot better with a little copper in the bore. Very few group well until there is a bit of fouling.

I have had bad luck with the one and only PacNor pre-fit to a Savage action 6.5-294 I bought. Accuracy very poor after 312 rounds and various loads. They examined it and said nothing wrong. No more PacNors for me. You never see them mentioned in NRA benchrest equipment matches. There is a reason.

There is nothing about copper in a barrel the 'helps' accuracy.
Stable fouling does, finally burning out a cleaning oil does, but when copper builds accuracy eventually step changes from it.
That 'eventually' depends on YOUR system.

This thread presents the first I've ever heard in someone claiming copper fouling was good for accuracy. I've never seen that, and I've never seen such a claim before.

I don't believe it.

That is why one should get to know his or her rifle. All barrels are different, some need cleaned more often than others. Some you get what you pay for.
The crown can be damaged as well during cleaning if not done properly, and that for sure mess up accuracy. I have seen some right off the shelf due to mishandling.

I don't know how long any of my rifles will go before accuracy falls off from fouling, but I will typically clean between 50 and 100 rounds, it depends though on how long I expect it to sit before it's next trip out or if I'm testing new loads. When I clean I want it clean! I never ever store a firearm with copper fouling in the barrel, moisture can get under the copper and there is nothing good about that. Clean it to bare metal, coat with Montana extreme accuracy oil and set it in the safe, run 2 dry patches through before you go shoot again.

Some of you may know that Mickey Coleman is a highly respected gunsmith and benchrest shooter in South Carolina. Here are some interesting comments he wrote a while back on this subject:

"Copper removal by Mickey Coleman
Seldom will competitors shoot 20 rounds without cleaning. If, however, you're at war then more shots between cleaning is expected but try cleaning more often.

Here is an easy method to get rid of copper but most people get faint when they hear it. Run two wet patches through the bore then take a brush and wrap a few wisps of 0000 steel wool around the brush starting at the handle end of the brush and wrapping toward the tip. Load the brush and steel wool with J-B Bore Paste and make ten complete passes followed by two wet patches then two dry patches.

I promise you that in almost all cases the copper will be gone and it will NOT harm the bore. Lest you think that it will ask yourself how often have you cleaned case necks with steel wool and how many case necks have you ruined by doing it. Is brass harder than barrel steel? "

Some of you may know that Mickey Coleman is a highly respected gunsmith and benchrest shooter in South Carolina. Here are some interesting comments he wrote a while back on this subject:

"Copper removal by Mickey Coleman
Seldom will competitors shoot 20 rounds without cleaning. If, however, you're at war then more shots between cleaning is expected but try cleaning more often.

Here is an easy method to get rid of copper but most people get faint when they hear it. Run two wet patches through the bore then take a brush and wrap a few wisps of 0000 steel wool around the brush starting at the handle end of the brush and wrapping toward the tip. Load the brush and steel wool with J-B Bore Paste and make ten complete passes followed by two wet patches then two dry patches.

I promise you that in almost all cases the copper will be gone and it will NOT harm the bore. Lest you think that it will ask yourself how often have you cleaned case necks with steel wool and how many case necks have you ruined by doing it. Is brass harder than barrel steel? "

Are you going to stuff a brass brush wrapped in steel wool and coated in an abrasive bore polish down a barrel that you have $600 tied up in? mmmm not so much on my end I work to hard for my money. On the other hand if I was in theater just out of or in a lull of a fire fight and not knowing when it's going to start up again, hell yes I would do that.

The best thing I have found for copper removal is Bore Tech Eliminator. No smell at all and starts cleaning copper out as soon as you run the first patch through the barrel. I've tried a lot of things in my barrels and its the best stuff i've used yet and can clean without choking you with ammonia smell. As for copper being good for accuracy in a barrel, thats the craziest thing i've heard but if it works for you roll with it but i sure don't see where it would help. 50 to 100 rounds is where I normally clean a barrel after its broke in. In FTR matches we shoot 66 rounds and a few fouling shots before the match and my rifle is still shooting just as good when the match is over as it was when I started but I use high end barrels like Krieger and Brux that are double hand lapped. Just my .02 take it for what its worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.