Copper flakes on patches after first cleaning

Mxracer532

Shot my new Tikka T3X lite today and did some load development. Found a bunch of copper flakes on a bunch of patches. Anyone run into this? REL 23 ELDM'S.

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_165750.jpg
    IMG_20200301_165750.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200301171719998_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200301171719998_COVER.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
What bullets are you using?

Are you using any sort of bore brush?

I've only seen something like this from plated pistol bullets.

Most likely it's residue from from chamfering & trimming brass. I've seen it before, so now I spin the cartridge mouth in a wad of 0000 steel wool.

Tumbling is good for cleaning inside of cases to remove brass shavings, if that's what your seeing.

If copper, it's the chamber shaving the bullet, on chambering.

Most likely it's residue from from chamfering & trimming brass. I've seen it before, so now I spin the cartridge mouth in a wad of 0000 steel wool.

Tumbling is good for cleaning inside of cases to remove brass shavings.
Definitely not what this is. Brass is untrimmed. Chamfered, but also run a brush through the case and tap out anything left. I also use the steel wool on the necks. It's definitely from the bullets themselves not the case.

I have experienced that in the past with sierra bullets. That is slivers of bullet jacket. When I switched to nosler I never had that again. ctw

IMO, unless the bullet jackets are total junk, you have some type of abnormality in the barrel, most likely where the reamer stopped cutting. I would try find a borescope and someone who knows what he is looking at to give you some insight.
I'd think you'd also be able to feel something if there was with a cleaning rod, say a pinch point.

I never have seen that after breaking in more tikka rifles than I want to count. Looks like you have copper buildup. After 58 shots. I would order a Lucas bore guide, a jdewey cooper Illuminati's rod, jag and nylon brush. Use only deweys brush other brushes are not the same! Your chemicals are kG industries 1,4,12. Shine a light at muzzle after carbon is removed to look at copper on rifles lands and groves. Scrub with brush and copper solvent till it is gone. Then shoot 3 and full clean.4 x then 5 shoot and clean. Till is stops grabbing copper. Most tikkas need 100 shots to get to this point. Oh and one other thing 3 shots and let the barrel cool. Please trust me! I have spoken....good luck

Tumbling is good for cleaning inside of cases to remove brass shavings.
Definitely not what this is. Brass is untrimmed. Chamfered, but also run a brush through the case and tap out anything left. It's definitely from the bullets themselves not the case.
I never have seen that after breaking in more tikka rifles than I want to count. Looks like you have copper buildup. After 58 shots. I would order a Lucas bore guide, a jdewey cooper Illuminati's rod, jag and nylon brush. Use only deweys brush other brushes are not the same! Your chemicals are kG industries 1,4,12. Shine a light at muzzle after carbon is removed to look at copper on rifles lands and groves. Scrub with brush and copper solvent till it is gone. Then shoot 3 and full clean.4 x then 5 shoot and clean. Till is stops grabbing copper. Most tikkas need 100 shots to get to this point. Oh and one other thing 3 shots and let the barrel cool. Please trust me! I have spoken....good luck
I have a rod and have set. I can't remember off the top of my head what brand the rod and have set is.

so I like a coted rod. Mike Lukas will need to know the specific rod that you have.. also I like the rod being a little larger than the attachment, jag and brush without a lip or road bump. This prevents you from damaging crown when scrubbing. You really need to stop brush before it completely exist barrel.

so I like a coted rod. Mike Lukas will need to know the specific rod that you have.. also I like the rod being a little larger than the attachment, jag and brush without a lip or road bump. This prevents you from damaging crown when scrubbing. You really need to stop brush before it completely exist barrel.
I know it's a coated rod and the rod is slightly bigger than the jag.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.