Copper Bullets?

I've killed somewhere around 30-40 animals with the Barnes TTSX here in the US and also in Namibia. I've only recovered one bullet and that was a 180gr TTSX from a .300 Wby on an eland at 200 yards. The bullet went though the shoulder, the heart, a rib, and was recovered under the hide on the far side. Perfect expansion. The bull went about 20 yards. I lost one waterbuck along the way and have no idea to this day what happened. We all saw the bullet impact the shoulder. Everything else just died. No failures. No drama or long tracking jobs except one gemsbok that I didn't hit well the first time. Very little meat damage too, even when you hit bone. They work as advertised and I've used TTSX from .243 up to .340 Wby and TSX in .375 and .416 Rigby. Still waiting for a chance to try those out on actual critters.

For true long range stuff, I'm more inclined to go with Berger due to concerns about expansion at low velocity. That said, the .257 Wby and 100gr TTSX out to 500 yards is a perfect marriage in my book.

I have used Barnes almost exclusively for 20 years with great success, but I have switched to Hammer Bullets like Butterbean! The Hammers seem to have a better terminal design, shedding their peddles to give more internal shock. The knock on Barnes has always been that in certain circumstances they will pencil through an animal and not cause the internal damage to kill quickly. Most mono bullets will almost always penetrate completely through any animal and yes, I also believe you can definitely drop down the weight of the bullet and get higher velocity for the same killing power.
Best of luck with whatever you turn to!

I have used Barnes almost exclusively for 20 years with great success, but I have switched to Hammer Bullets like Butterbean! The Hammers seem to have a better terminal design, shedding their peddles to give more internal shock. The knock on Barnes has always been that in certain circumstances they will pencil through an animal and not cause the internal damage to kill quickly. Most mono bullets will almost always penetrate completely through any animal and yes, I also believe you can definitely drop down the weight of the bullet and get higher velocity for the same killing power.
Best of luck with whatever you turn to!
Usually, the pencil effect happens when to heavy a bullet is used for the amount of animal. That's why it's always recommended to drop back a weight range with mono's. The trend towards heavy high BC bullets for "long" range has led to a lot of that.

I switched to Barnes about 10 years ago for hunting and I will likely never switch, they even go in the 30-30 brush gun and still the deer drop in their tracks. I seat them mag length, do and Audette test at 300 (100 for the 30-30) then turn what's left in the box into my load that season.

I've used Barnes for years and they are good bullets but a couple of years ago I tried Hammers and they are a big step up. They are easier to tune and more accurate in my rifles and their terminal performance is better.

haven't tried GMX but since I live in CA I'm pretty familiar w/copper - Barnes TSX, TTSX, LRX, and Nosler E-Tips. all have performed well for me. the only thing to be aware of is that in my experience load development may produce a little bit different results than you're used. i believe this is due to the fact that the copper bullets are significantly longer than a lead core bullet of the same weight

Used Barnes for 20 years and tried the GMX both with good results, Now on to Hammers to get long range loads and performance. Got .266MOA with Hammers at 300yds so far. ES11 and SD4.5. Gonna try them on mule deer this year. 6.5PRC 131gr Hammer Hunters.

I should add that I haven't tried any of the fancy turned bullets yet like Cutting Edge or Hammer. they look sweet I just haven't been able to justify the price tag. maybe I should give them a shot though

I should add that I haven't tried any of the fancy turned bullets yet like Cutting Edge or Hammer. they look sweet I just haven't been able to justify the price tag. maybe I should give them a shot though

Hammer will "buy" back unused Hammer bullets. If they work, you are set. If you don't like them, you're only out what you used. What other company does that!?

cheapest part of a hunting trip the ammo easy load development of the hammers makes them less expensive

question on the Hammers for those that have used them - how much jump do they like? the e-tips I'm currently using tend to work best pretty far off the lands, running .100" jump right now

what I have found with the hammer hunters is set them at mag length or 20thou. off the lands which ever way works in your rifle and most times never move them I have had a couple that I moved in maybe 10thou. more they are very forgiving on seating depth as far as the absolute hammers I start the same way but have had to adjust a little more one way or the other to finalize load still very simple load work up

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.