Cooper vs Fierce?

NV220swift

Hello, I was looking at purchasing a new elk rifle in a 7mm recently and was pretty stuck on the Fierce Carbon Fury. Then I recently came across a Cooper Open Country Long Range (Lightweight) with the Proof barrel in 7mm as well for roughly the same price ($200 more) and threw me off track.
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with either rifle or both and what Pros and Cons they found. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

I don't have that version of the Cooper, but I have 4) Backcountry's. My 7mm RM shoots under half inch at 100. Shoots two different factory loads half inch or better. My others shoot the same.
No experience with Fierce, sorry
I will say I'd go for a Proof barrel...

Attachments

• 51EF350A-87A9-4D89-B4C2-F62F54CC9FB9.png
    51EF350A-87A9-4D89-B4C2-F62F54CC9FB9.png
    724.4 KB · Views: 261
I have a Fierce in the Edge model, fantastic 1/2 moa gun. I like them so much I just ordered another Edge in 280AI. I was actually wanting the Carbon Fury but couldn't get it in that cartridge. Both models have the 1/2 moa guarantee. I have no experience with Cooper but it sounds like an awesome gun as well. Good luck with your choice, and good luck with the elk.

I'm unfamiliar with Fierce, but I've had two Coopers for a good while, a 6mm Remington and a .270 Winchester. Both shoot very accurately with a variety of bullets. I'm not fond of detachable magazines and the rifles are a bit heavy, though not unduly so; small points that I can I can overlook because the rifles shoot so well.

Hello, I was looking at purchasing a new elk rifle in a 7mm recently and was pretty stuck on the Fierce Carbon Fury. Then I recently came across a Cooper Open Country Long Range (Lightweight) with the Proof barrel in 7mm as well for roughly the same price ($200 more) and threw me off track.
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with either rifle or both and what Pros and Cons they found. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
I use the model 92 with huskama in 7mm light and very accurate or model 52 in 7mm either one is perfect open country set up

Personal preference is Fierce. I've owned both. I have 3 carbon barreled Fierce rifles, all shoot lights out, my 338 RUM shoots 1/3" groups with factory 300 grain ammo. Just can't beat that. I've tried just about every brand and maker, including the much higher cost customs, and I feel I get the best combination of value, quality, durability and accuracy with Fierce. Ease of ordering and customer service with Fierce are also the best I've dealt with.

I have a Cooper model 52 in 7mm STW & my Son has a Cooper open country long range in 6.5x284 both are really nice shooters! I also have a Fierce Fury long range in 300 win mag I bought last year. I have dealt with customer service with both companies, can`t say enough good things about Cooper, & because of the rules, NV220swift private message me & I`ll tell you about my experiences overall! I really love the Fierce & it is about as nice a shooter & well made rifle you could ask for, but?? I`m getting old & both of my rifles still shoot to the manufactures accuracy guarantees, even with my failing eye site & not so steady hands, & my Son`s rifle is better than advertised with him shooting it! A side note the Muzzel break on the Cooper is really loud, just must be the design?

Attachments

• 20180916_081209.jpg
    20180916_081209.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 511
  • 20180921_090548.jpg
    20180921_090548.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 480
  • 20191024_112942.jpg
    20191024_112942.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 442
Thanks to everyone so far on all their experience and thoughts on these 2 rifles. So far its seems as far as functionality and build there really isn't a wrong choice.

Only down side with the fierce edge is its based off of a sako action
So aftermarket parts are less available
Bix an andy make a trigger that works and so does jard
Scope mounts take a little more time to source
Id avoid the two piece talleys because they arent very good
They do shoot though

I have several Coopers and several Fierce rifles in my safe (including the ones you specifically mentioned) and I prefer the Fierce. They are very accurate, light, and well made but my main preference is the magazine box. I much prefer the magazine in the Fierce- there is more room to play with seating depth and I like the double stack of the Fierce magazine vs the single stack of the Cooper. I had a Cooper jam on me shooting factory Hornady ammo on the largest buck I ever had a chance to shoot and again on another buck the following year. As far as accuracy, they both shoot lights out. Personally, I would tell you to handle both rifles and see what feels best in your hands. They both will shoot- it will just be what your personal preference is for the feel of the rifle. I also prefer the feel of the Fierce but my favorite Fierce are the CT Edge models which are an upgrade over the Fury (and there isnt really anything I dont like about the Fury). This link will give you some more info on the Fury:

Last edited:
I own an old Cooper Varmint Extreme. I believe it was purchased around 1996. Their workmanship is top notch. Years ago I was too eager to get maximum velocity for my 17 Remington and damaged the bolt extractor. I sent it back for repair as I needed that rifle for an upcoming ground squirrel hunt. They repaired and sent back the rifle in about a week. No charge other than to caution me to be more reasonable with my reloads. They make quality rifles and have great customer service.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts