Cooper rifle won't chamber twice fired brass

It seems we have taken this thread off on a tangent, so maybe you could start a new thread on how to properly cast a chamber.

OP, have you found your issue? Do you have anyone local to recheck your work?
Yes, thank you. Numerous people have joined in this thread and have given lots of valuable information. Thanks to all. I have now ordered both a small base die and also a set of redding competition shell holders. Those will take 1 to 2 weeks to arrive due to delays in corona-shipping. Once I get those I will tinker around with them at my bench, trying different adjustments on my regular die, the small base die, and the competition shell holders. I will update this thread with my results when I get it all worked out, but don't expect anything for 2-3 weeks. It will take some time for the shipping of the new items, then for me to load, fire, reload, fire, reload again, etc. to make sure I have the issue resolved. No offense to anyone but I'm not going to be doing any chamber casting. I think die adjustment, competition shell holders, and a small base die are good places to me to start. Thanks again to all.

I can chamber a 308W in 30/06 chamber by sizing the case when I close the bolt. The 308W case head spaces on the shoulder/case body juncture. Nothing new, Dick Culver did it by accident.

F. Guffey
Do you mean by short chambering the 30-06 by ~.400"??

Do you mean by short cambering the 30-06 by ~.400"??

The case body diameter of shoulder/ case body juncture for the 308 is .453" the 30/06 chamber has less less taper than the 308W chamber meaning when the 308 W is chambered in the 30/06 chamber there is an interference fit at the shoulder/case body juncture by .014"+ again meaning the case of the 308 has to be crushed starting at the case body/shoulder juncture.

I smith called to ask about his fired cases. When he ejected his 30/006 cases he found there was a ring around the case body about 1.559" from the case head.

So I asked him if he was not happy with his 308W chamber? He wanted to know what that had to do with the problem. I explained to him the 30/06 chamber reamer will not clean up a 308W chamber. There are options

F. Guffey

Short chamber is one thing a short case in a long chamber is something else. Again, I have fired 8mm57 rounds in my 8mm/06 chambers, I know head space blah blah blah, The difference between the 8mm57 case from the shoulder to the case head and the 8mm/06 case from the shoulder to the case head is .127".

F. Guffey

The case body diameter of shoulder/ case body juncture for the 308 is .453" the 30/06 chamber has less less taper than the 308W chamber meaning when the 308 W is chambered in the 30/06 chamber there is an interference fit at the shoulder/case body juncture by .014"+ again meaning the case of the 308 has to be crushed starting at the case body/shoulder juncture.

I smith called to ask about his fired cases. When he ejected his 30/006 cases he found there was a ring around the case body about 1.559" from the case head.

So I asked him if he was not happy with his 308W chamber? He wanted to know what that had to do with the problem. I explained to him the 30/06 chamber reamer will not clean up a 308W chamber. There are options

F. Guffey

Short chamber is one thing a short case in a long chamber is something else. Again, I have fired 8mm57 rounds in my 8mm/06 chambers, I know head space blah blah blah, The difference between the 8mm57 case from the shoulder to the case head and the 8mm/06 case from the shoulder to the case head is .127".

F. Guffey
I gotta know Mr Guffey, how old are you? You made the age comment so I'm curious

I have a M1 Garand, a Remington 700 30-06 and a Savage .308 and F. Guffey needs to read about the military experiments of shooting 7.62 in the M1 Garand. Meaning firing the M1 with .308/7.63 ammunition with and without a chamber plug.

Bottom line, you can chamber a .308 case cartridge in a 30-06 chamber without any resistance closing the both. I have chambered .308 ammunition in my M1 Garand and my 30-06. I even took photos of this using my Remington 700 30-06 taking photos as I slowly closed the bolt in a posting.

Bottom line, after years of reading F. Guffey's posts, his posting are nothing more than a fantasy land of pretending to be something he is not. And his postings about chambering a .308 in a 30-06 chamber is a perfect example of what he does not know and his ignorance.

and I thought you were going to be benevolent because you decided you were going to overlook my effort because of my age. And then you did the 'God Bless'.
I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here. If you are 30 and posting this stuff, then reactions will be different :) My mom is in her 80s and calls me 10x a day. I wouldn't answer if she was 60 :)

Recent Posts