Cooper rifle won't chamber twice fired brass

I would buy another brand of die to start with, like a Redding FL die for starters. Not to get into a 'which die is best' ****ing match, but Lee usually does not get mentioned in 'best' discussions. Lee usually gets mentioned in 'cheapest' discussions.
Also, this was asked earlier in this thread, but will a once fired & twice fired brass fit in the chamber before sizing?
Could this 'bulging' be happening during the FL sizing.

The Redding Competition Shell Holder set allows you to keep your shell holder / die contact cam over, while reducing the amount of shoulder set back in .002" increments, depending on which shell holder you use in the set.

He is ALREADY using Redding and has tried Lee as an alternate. The issue is NOT the make of the die it is that his chamber is smaller than Saami spec.and a standard FL die of any make is not designed to size brass for below Saami spec chambers.

You can't just shave some off the bottom of an existing die, that for sure won't fix your problem, might even make it worse plus you will induce excess head space. Check with Redding and RCBS and see what the spec is at that point for one of their small base body dies. (Most small base are .002 smaller than standard in the body and head, some also give you more shoulder bump in the FL versions) You can use a 30-06 body die if they don't have FL small base in 270. If it isn't small enough you can get custom made dies that will work.

It doesn't look like they make a small base body die for .270, but you said that the .30-06 would work? I know they are close to the same case and the sizing of the body of the case would be just fine, but would a .30-06 body die mess up the shoulders on a .270 case?

It doesn't look like they make a small base body die for .270, but you said that the .30-06 would work? I know they are close to the same case and the sizing of the body of the case would be just fine, but would a .30-06 body die mess up the shoulders on a .270 case?
Body die does not touch the shoulder if adjusted properly but the 270 and 30-06 have the same shoulder angle anyhow. It sizes only the body but it has the issue that sizing is now a two stage operation.. If you look at page 95 you will find the Saami 30-06 specs, all of the body measurements are identical to a 270. The variation is in neck etc so a 30-06 body die will do 270 and any other 30-06 derived cases like the 25-06 just fine. I didn't remember Redding making a 270 SBFL die but RCBS makes FL small base dies for the 270, Brownelles and Midway usually have them in stock.

Last edited:
Try these: Small base dies for 270

I just put in an order with Midway for the .30-06 small base body die. I liked the idea of still being able to control my neck tension with my redding bushing die. Unfortunately because of Corona-shipping it looks like it will take about 2 weeks to get here.

He is ALREADY using Redding and has tried Lee as an alternate. The issue is NOT the make of the die it is that his chamber is smaller than Saami spec.and a standard FL die of any make is not designed to size brass for below Saami spec chambers.

If his chamber is under SAAMI from Cooper then factory ammo wouldn't fit.

Will a fired (unsized) piece of brass fit into the chamber? If so, it's an issue with either his dies or his reloading set up.

Can you help me understand what is going on?

When I size a case I start by adjusting the die. If I go by the book I adjust the die down to the shell holder and then give the die a 1/4 additional. I call that full length sizing. If I want to know if the press won or the press won I measure the gap between the bottom of the die and top of the shell holder. In the perfect world the die will make it to the shell holder when full length sizing. If there is a gap between the bottom of the shell holder and and top of the die the case did not get full length sized.

It is a little tricky but when I want to know 'by how much' the case won by I measure case head protrusion from the die. Tricky part; that would be the part about removing the the die and case from the press without removing the case.

F. Guffey

I am curious on how the go gauge passed this along if the chamber is out of spec? Is there that much play in a go gauge?

I am curious on how the go gauge passed this along if the chamber is out of spec? Is there that much play in a go gauge?
Go gauge has nothing to so with this spec. It only covers head space. The issue here is the diameter of the case just ahead of the Web.

Go gauge has nothing to so with this spec. It only covers head space. The issue here is the diameter of the case just ahead of the Web.
Dean2, Yes I know but was under some impression the go gauge also covered the chamber dimension as well.

Body die does not touch the shoulder if adjusted properly but the 270 and 30-06 have the same shoulder angle anyhow. It sizes only the body but it has the issue that sizing is now a two stage operation.. If you look at page 95 you will find the Saami 30-06 specs, all of the body measurements are identical to a 270. The variation is in neck etc so a 30-06 body die will do 270 and any other 30-06 derived cases like the 25-06 just fine. I didn't remember Redding making a 270 SBFL die but RCBS makes FL small base dies for the 270, Brownelles and Midway usually have them in stock.
I'd try to have cooper back their product if the chambers tight. A 270 is still very popular and their reamer may be at the end on its life expectancy and be providing a tight chamber! Just an idea

Buy a Stony Point/Hornady Head & Shoulders gauge. Problem solved. Been in your shoes before. Your shoulders aren't being bumped back enough. If you aren't using this gauge you have no idea what your die is doing.

Once again if his gun fires factory brass and once reloaded brass his chamber is not to small. And head space guages only measure the length of the chamber not anything to do with diameter. Headspace guages are actually way skinnier than a cartridge case. And a belted magnum headspace guage is only about an inch long. Before a reamer would get too small to make a proper size chamber it would be too dull to cut. I would say it's an out of spec die before I would blame the gun. When I used to make Chambers at perfect 0 head space about 1 in 4 dies needed some of the bottom taken off to get sufficient shoulder bump. Dies go through more steps to make than cutting a chamber. Dies are cut and then heat treated and then polished. Metal can change dimensions during heat treating. Barrels are heat treated before chambered. The advise of trying a small base die is sound. But I have never seen a bolt action rifle need one.
Even with all the match Chambers I cut I've never needed a small base die for any of the rifles I've built. I have had several dies that were bad over the yrs. They were all replaced no questions asked.
Shep

Recent Posts