Cooper Model 52 Sporter vs Nosler M48 Patriot Liberty

Xtremetj

So forgive the new guy but I just can't find much information or reviews on the Nosler rifles. I know the Coopers are great shooters (so I hear) never owned one but I've never heard anything negative about them. Reading about the Nosler rifles leads me to believe it's a pretty good set up...

Is the Copper with the extra $600?

I'm looking at them in 6.5x284. The Cooper has a laminate stock and stainless barrel which I absolutely love, just don't know if it's with the extra cash? Could put the extra cash towards the optics.

Anyone spent any time with the Nosler's?

Thank in advance for you thoughts.

Greg.

If you are going for a 6.5x284 you are very likely going to use !40 VLD's for long range work. The Coopers are well proven using these bullets in their 1:8 twist barrels and a chamber that is well mated for optimized loads with the 140's. I have no experience with the Nosler in 6.5x284 but it's hard to imagine Nosler testing their rifle with anything but their standard hunting bullets, or the lighter 129gr LRAB's. All 6.5x284 factory rifles are not created equal. The Cooper is proven and this may be worth the extra $$$.

Last edited:
I have a Cooper Excalibur in 6.5x284 and it is a sweet shooting rifle. I handled the model 48 patriot and I was not really impressed. If I had a criticism for the cooper it would be the safety more like a switch than a safety. The bore barrel fit and finish are all excellent action is smooth as silk. Not so with the Nosler.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I had a Cooper Excalibur in a 280 AI, and I would take the Cooper hands down better fit and finish than my buddies Nosler 26 witch is not a half MOA rifle more like 3/4- 1 inch with a lot of load work. I had some dealings with Nosler ,and they left me feeling like I bothered them with the issues with their product but the guys at Cooper are awesome to deal with ,and had no problems answering any questions I had for them.

I had one of each in 6.5x284. The cooper shot the 140 vld into one hole. The nosler was about 5/8" - 3/4" but still good.
The trigger on the coopers is great, my nosler had some creep.
If you look around you can get a cooper with a 26" barrel which is very helpful using Retumbo.
I would buy either again but would be happier with the Cooper, I have had 4 coopers in 6.5-284, 6.5 Creed, 280 AI and a 25-06. All of them shot under 1/2 MOA.
An all stainless excalibur with a 26" barrel would be hard to beat.

I've been very happy with my Nosler Patriot. I've only just begun with it so far I'm happy. I've not had the pleasure of shooting a Cooper.

After seeing a a few deer I had taken at long range with my Cooper in 6.5x284 my buddy bought a Model 52 Jackson Hunter in the same caliber. First afternoon out to sight in and play with the rifle he was consistently hitting softball sized rocks at 800 yards using HSM 140.Berger VLD ammo. He mounted the same scope, mounts, and dopes that I use with my rifle. No break in, no load development. It would not necessarily be my approach, but none the less, quite impressive for right out of the box.

Last edited:
Nosler M48 Custom

600 yards, cold bore (gun hadn't been fired since last December), 280 Ackley Improved, Nosler 160 grain Accubond bullet, muzzle velcocity 3,020 fps, impact velocity 2,020 fps.

Conditions...light and variable wind (3-8 mph), 82 degrees, humidity 47%...dialed up 8.75 MOA, waited on the wind to drop, and let her rip....pretty straightforward.

The shot is about the 25 second mark

The rifle is so boringly reliable...you do the work to find a stable load, the Nosler rifle will do its part.

[ame]https://youtu.be/1W-vZoU1NPA[/ame]

I had one of each in 6.5x284. The cooper shot the 140 vld into one hole. The nosler was about 5/8" - 3/4" but still good.
The trigger on the coopers is great, my nosler had some creep.
If you look around you can get a cooper with a 26" barrel which is very helpful using Retumbo.
I would buy either again but would be happier with the Cooper, I have had 4 coopers in 6.5-284, 6.5 Creed, 280 AI and a 25-06. All of them shot under 1/2 MOA.
An all stainless excalibur with a 26" barrel would be hard to beat.

The model I'm looking at only has a 24" barrel. Which I like for hunting reasons. Any reason I shouldn't get a 24" barrel? Gun will only be used for hunting.

And thanks for all the information guys! I really appreciate the help!

The model I'm looking at only has a 24" barrel. Which I like for hunting reasons. Any reason I shouldn't get a 24" barrel? Gun will only be used for hunting.

And thanks for all the information guys! I really appreciate the help!

Based on my experiences with 24/26 inch barrels I have observed little, if any difference in MV(2975FPS) and, get a complete burn even with a slow burner like Retumbo using 140 gr Bullets. I would make sure the rifle you are purchasing does have a 1:8 twist to fully stabilize the 140 VLD's. I have seen Coopers with 1:9 twist barrels on their 6.5x284's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.