Cooper M52 & Nosler Legacy range report

Smoak352

I went to the range today with my Cooper for the first time. It is a model 52 Excalibur in 25-06. I also brought a Nosler Legacy in .270 win. This was the 3rd and last range trip with the Nosler.

I loaded 6 different loads with the Cooper, 5 of which shot under an inch. Three of the six loads shot under Cooper's 1/2 MOA guarantee. I was very pleased with this, as I am first and foremost a hunter. I usually switch out the trigger on factory guns, as a Timney set on the lightest weight, 1.5lbs is fine. When I purchased the Cooper is was heavier then my usual Timney triggers, but after adjusting it, it is definitely lighter than 1.5lbs. I don't have anything to measure the pull, but I would say it is at 1lb or less.

The quality of the Cooper is great and I am very satisfied with the purchase. Now to the Nosler. Nosler's Legacy has a .75 MOA guarantee, which now I only see a 1" guarantee for their current line of rifles. After the first range trip, I was unable to achieve the guarantee and some loads were very bad, grouping over 3". I called Nosler and they actually sent me a box of factory, Nosler ammo for free. I went to the range a second time and the best group I could get was right as 1" with the provided factory ammo. The Nosler is not a cheap rifle at $2,595 MSRP, I want to it shoot the guarantee. Well, this was the 3rd trip to the range with the Nosler and after several new loads, the best I could achieve was .91" at 100 yards. I know this is fine for hunting in my area, but I feel like I could get this in a cheaper factory gun, or buy another Cooper and easily shoot 1/2MOA.

The gun is in perfect condition and I feel as it will be better to just sell on gunbroker.com than try to hassle with the factory again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.