Cooper backcountry vs Fierce edge

Here are 3 shots from a Cooper 52 .280 AI at 825 yards. Shots from one and three are at 10 o'clock of black bull. Shot two over around 4 o'clock.....slight breeze that AM. All of these pix I've posted are with HUNTING rifle setups and loads and mid range optics.....2 of 3 pix are with bonded bullets and not VLD's
I have a question for you. With the Coopers does the bolt not locking while on safe bother you?

Agreed. I've run into quite a few guys at local gun ranges who don't handload that were shooting Fierce rifles. Ones that standout had .300 Win Mags and shooting Barnes Vortex TTSX ammo. A couple guys were shooting ragged hole FIVE SHOT groups at 100 yards.......that is insane if you really know about rifles and ammo. One dude was complaining that his rifle only excelled with "expensive" ammo.....I told him I'd GLADLY pay him cash what he paid for his particular rifle and then I'd go out and buy ALL the ammo I could find with that lot #. He declined but at least if you could find a combo like that you'd ALWAYS have a GO TO rifle/ammo combo

I personally haven't had an issue with bolt that doesn't lock. If you close bolt and let firing pin down on an empty chamber it's pretty doggone hard to manipulate the bolt accidentally. I think this is mostly an issue with newbies.
My wife (a REAL NEWBIE) started with an old M77 that locked bolt and never had an issue (obviously)....I bought her a Forbes Ultralight that doesn't lock bolt and she constantly works bolt open while hiking and carrying rifle slung over her shoulder

I have never had a bolt come open on me, but I close the bolt on an empty chamber and decock the rifle (finger on trigger as I let down the bolt). The pressure it takes to cock the bolt keeps it shut.

I don't own a cooper but I have fondled a couple 3-4 years ago. I do have a fierce, shoots very well, and one of my fav stock patterns, it just seems to fit. Fierce also has enough mag length to run the long pointy bullets, something not all manuf have.

Agreed about the stock. This thing is SO ugly it's kinda GOOD LOOKING .....LOL

Attachments

• 4EB89EAD-2242-4D68-85CB-9A8993117F5F.png
    4EB89EAD-2242-4D68-85CB-9A8993117F5F.png
    407.4 KB · Views: 148
Just personal preference - I don't like the possibly of the bolt catching/rubbing on brush and flinging out the chambered round, or even partially opening. I want the bolt locked while on safe.

Here are 3 shots from a Cooper 52 .280 AI at 825 yards. Shots from one and three are at 10 o'clock of black bull. Shot two over around 4 o'clock.....slight breeze that AM. All of these pix I've posted are with HUNTING rifle setups and loads and mid range optics.....2 of 3 pix are with bonded bullets and not VLD's
What recipe of yours produced that group in your 280 Ackley? No hesitation squeezing the trigger in the backcountry or any country with that set up. Thanks

What recipe did you shoot to produce that impressive group? Definitely have confidence going into the field with that set up! Thanks

Bought my first Fierce in .338 LM, took ten shots to get the advertised 3-shot group under .5MOA. Handles handholds (285 g Hornady, US 869) beautifully. Love the gun. Now considering a second in .300 PRC.

I have owned several Coopers and still own two. I Currently own 4 Fierce rifles and I prefer the Fierce to Cooper. Both shoot great. I really like the magazine of the Fierce over the single stack of the Cooper. I have had issues with plastic tipped bullets jamming during fast cycling during hunting situations (twice) with factory loads in the Cooper. I had to put one less round in the magazine to prevent this from happening. I also like the Fierce stock on the Edge models slightly better. I had a friend purchase a used Fierce on gunbroker and he could not get it to shoot 1/2MOA. He sent it back to Fierce and they confirmed and rebarred the rifle for him at no charge. In all honesty, you cannot go wrong with either gun but since you asked for preferences, my nod goes to Fierce.

I currently own two Coopers and four Fierce rifles. Both are very fine rifles and in all honesty you cant go wrong either way. I prefer the Fierce over the Cooper mainly because I am not a fan of the Cooper single stack magazine. I have had rounds with plastic tips jam during cycling while hunting (twice) that were factory rounds. I had to put one less round in the magazine to prevent this from happening. The Fierce magazine is super smooth and has lots of room for handloaders changing OAL. I like the Fierce stock a little better also. Both shoot very well but Fierce guarantees a 1/2MOA and this is legit. My buddy bought a used Fierce on Gunbroker that did not shoot 1/2MOA. He sent it to Fierce and they agreed and rebarreled for no cost to him. Cooper is known to rebarrel a rifle that is shot out for a very reasonable price if you think you might shoot enough volume to shoot a barrel out that may be a factor. But since you asked for recommendation, my nod goes to Fierce.

I know this has been hashed before but I am looking for any insight as to which rifle to purchase. I am looking at a cooper backcountry in 7mag and a fierce edge in 28 nosler. I am left handed which puts a damper on options. I have always heard good things about Cooper and not much information on Fierce. Both feel and cycle awesome. Most all of my other rifles the bolt locks while the rifle is "on safe" with a few exceptions. The Fierce rifle's bolt does lock while the Cooper doesn't. I don't know if this will bother me but it has me thinking. I guess this is what is really bothering me because I had a custom "700 clone" bolt open on me in the field. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
I have several Cooper rifles and never have been disappointed with them. My primary hunting rifle is a Model 56 in .257 Wby.