Cooper Backcountry M92, 6.5x284

stx

I've been wanting a Cooper for quite a while and finally "pulled the trigger" on this Backcountry in 6.5x284. I mounted a Vortex Razor LH HD 3-15x42 in Talley lightweight rings. After attempting to adjust the Trigger Tech down to the pull weight I like and not being able to do so, I called both Triggertech and Cooper and got the same answer: with the heavy firing pin spring that Cooper uses in these rifles, the Triggertech won't adjust to the advertised 1.5lb minimum(2.5# was as low as I could get it).....they even state this on their website. So I ordered a Jewell without a bolt release and now I'm set up and ready to go! At 6 lbs, 15.7 oz, I know this isn't a long range rifle but I'm anxious to see just how far I can be effective with it.....not that it really matters, as I bought it to use primarily as a guide rifle. I'm hoping it will shoot 140 VLDs well since they shoot so good in all my other 6.5s. I'd be interested to hear any reports from anyone that has used this model at any reasonable long range!

Cooper 1.jpg Cooper 2.jpg

I had the same rifle up until Tuesday. Really liked it a ton and the trigger tech in mine adjusted down to 1.5 pounds. I traded it for a Cooper Jackson long range in the same caliber and that trigger is also a trigger tech that I adjusted down to 1.5. Mine was shooting 140 hunting vld with 4831 sc pretty good, never finalized the load but had some .5" groups with it.
Pretty awesome rifle ain't it!

Yes, I really like it so far although I haven't shot it yet. I'm a little puzzled about the triggers! Obviously, all of them aren't like mine.....all I know is that both Cooper and Trigger Tech said it was a common problem! Oh well, glad yours work well.....I have a lot of Jewells, so that's what I'm used to anyway. How much H4831sc were you loading? Velocity?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.