Cooper .280 AI

Greg Duerr

I have a good friend who has a cooper in the .280AI He can not get it to shoot under 2.0" He insists on using IMR 4831 and is going to try shooting the 168gr berger and Barnes bullets..............

What Bullet and powder combinations would you suggest for him to try that you know works for you.

The Test target uses a Sierra 130gr Match bullet............................... unrealistic for a hunting Rifle Cooper needs to use Hunting Bullets in their Test loads...............and shoot at 100 yds for them to gain all of my respect

I have a cooper 280 ai that shoots well with 59.6 H4831SC and 168 berger classic hunters. Nosler 280 AI brass, Fed 210M, jumping the bullet .010.
These were at 200 yards, shot round robin. You can see the charge weight on the target, everything else is the same as listed above.

I have had a few coopers and they have all fouled pretty bad at the beginning. He should start with a clean barrel and check for copper during load development. He may have to clean during development if the rifle is new.

Attachments

• IMG_2156.JPG
    IMG_2156.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG 2157 (2).JPG
    IMG 2157 (2).JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 100
H4831/H4831SC has always been my 'go to' slow rifle powder.
It didn't make the 280ai happy, someone suggested Re 19/Re22.
Finally got 'advertised' velocity without wrecking brass and better accuracy.
(both seemed to work well, 3150-3200 w 140gr bullets, 26" barrel)

Iv had very good results with n165 n560 and H1000 with a 168 vld or 162 amax.
The 140 ttsx and n560 worked very well. My cooper shoots like 8andbaits and has done for years.

H4831SC and 168 Berger classic hunter. Was very easy to load for and have shot it out to 700 yds. Nosler brass and Fed 210's. This is my first Cooper. The only thing I don't like is that I cannot even load to Mag length. If I do I am jammed way into the lands. I need to seat the 168's DEEP resulting in lost case capacity. I still got them running at 2880 fps.

Worked fine for me. Had a accurate load developed in about 15 shots. Everything chambered fine. I may be fire forming the Nosler brass not sure. My speed is on par with what other guys were getting.

Can you shoot the Nosler .280 AI in a Cooper 280AI chamber? I heard that you can not

I have done for years with over 12 fireings on many cases. Some from the early batches and some recent stuff.It chambers sweetly and doesn't stretch at all. I would suggest you try firing a piece, measure base to shoulder with an appropriate gauge before and after.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.