Coon takes a hit at 110 yds in pitch black darkness.

Amish friend bought one to see if it was any good,those boys got the money and buy anything hunt or fishing related they want.
There's a definite benefit to being frugal. Plus, depending on their source of income, Amish are one of the few groups that do not have to pay Social Security. (That might have changed in the decades that have passed since I read that court case).

Smoked this fat chick with the Hornet the other night!
Nice quick work of that hide too. Never skinned for the ears before - great idea. Did you leave the tail "bone in"?

Nice quick work of that hide too. Never skinned for the ears before - great idea. Did you leave the tail "bone in"?
Oh, geese! Thanks for the compliment! It was my first skinning job on a coon and I had to YouTube my way through it! I didn't have a tail zipper so yes, I left the bone in. At any rate, the next day, I ordered a fleshing beam and a fur handlers kit so I'll have a much easier time of it next time! Problem is, with all the delivery issues with USPS I still haven't got the kit yet! I hope to get it this week.

What is your plan for the hides?
I'm not sure. I have tanning solution but my taxidermist said that the "cracking" process (which requires alot of kneading and pulling of the hide) is rather tough and to get really good quality pelts, it's best to ship them off to a tanner to do that. She gave me a name of a tannery in PA. Supposedly, you get it all fleshed out, salt it and then freeze it and ship it frozen early in the week. I'll try one myself first and then maybe explore that option in the future.

I'm goin' out tonight!
1ACE62C4-B6A6-4CEF-BF65-737BA5C5EA5C.jpeg

Wait........Amish can't drive a car, but they can drive a thermal?
No evil wheels on the thermal. Of course wires are evil but the thermal may not have actual "wires" just circuit boards. That's about the extent of my Amish knowledge. Oh and they drink warm beer...

Oh, geese! Thanks for the compliment! It was my first skinning job on a coon and I had to YouTube my way through it! I didn't have a tail zipper so yes, I left the bone in. At any rate, the next day, I ordered a fleshing beam and a fur handlers kit so I'll have a much easier time of it next time! Problem is, with all the delivery issues with USPS I still haven't got the kit yet! I hope to get it this week.
I meant by doing it that same night. I'd have waited until the next day.

Wait........Amish can't drive a car, but they can drive a thermal?
Admittedly I don't know squat about Amish but read a long article by someone who went to live with an Amish family for a year. The author was puzzled by many exceptions to "no powered machinery / nothing produced by powered machinery" and asked into it. The community went by an Ordnung holding the philosophy of being present, faithful and non-wasteful at all times. Machine made mayonnaise was cheaper to use than make their own aioli, some powered machinery allowed them to make their products faster. I wonder if they have some form of indulgences.
I'm not sure. I have tanning solution but my taxidermist said that the "cracking" process (which requires alot of kneading and pulling of the hide) is rather tough and to get really good quality pelts, it's best to ship them off to a tanner to do that. She gave me a name of a tannery in PA. Supposedly, you get it all fleshed out, salt it and then freeze it and ship it frozen early in the week. I'll try one myself first and then maybe explore that option in the future.
Last one I skinned was ages ago, what a nasty stench it had. Cut it from the neck back, left tail bone-in. Salted it & put it up on the "drying rack" outside -- ex-wife wouldn't let me bring it inside. Carcass and hide were gone the next day when I got home from work. I always wondered if she had tossed it.

It has always amazed me about coons - they look like fat, portly buggers, but when you skin them, there's some *serious* muscle underneath that hide.

I meant by doing it that same night. I'd have waited until the next day.

Admittedly I don't know squat about Amish but read a long article by someone who went to live with an Amish family for a year. The author was puzzled by many exceptions to "no powered machinery / nothing produced by powered machinery" and asked into it. The community went by an Ordnung holding the philosophy of being present, faithful and non-wasteful at all times. Machine made mayonnaise was cheaper to use than make their own aioli, some powered machinery allowed them to make their products faster. I wonder if they have some form of indulgences.

Last one I skinned was ages ago, what a nasty stench it had. Cut it from the neck back, left tail bone-in. Salted it & put it up on the "drying rack" outside -- ex-wife wouldn't let me bring it inside. Carcass and hide were gone the next day when I got home from work. I always wondered if she had tossed it.

It has always amazed me about coons - they look like fat, portly buggers, but when you skin them, there's some *serious* muscle underneath that hide.
My ex wife finally admitted to tossing my first deer skull away after many years that I had left outside with salt on it. Did I mention ex wife?