Cooling my heels on reloading for a bit...

I learned my lesson during obummer 1 and then again during obummer 2 and again after sandy hook school, I can be a slow learner sometimes, I will NEVER again get caught short

learn to be flexible in your recipes

and you may be able to trade less desirable components as well

I started accumulating during the Jimmy Carter administration! memtb

Same here. I've done load development, loaded some up based on those findings and the ammo sits in their respective boxes.....waiting. Used to shoot 2 or 3 times per week, but now I'll go 2 or 3 weeks without firing a shot (except at a groundhog, of course ;)).
In So.Cal the forest service has shut down access to all NFS land which includes access to our range. So have load development ammo waiting three weeks and counting to test. Am saving a lot of 22LR and 45ACP since we only have two indoor ranges within 30 miles and those are by appointment due to Covid 19. Sigh.
I know...move. But I am 81 years and counting.

I gave away maybe 1/4 of my components to a local hunter safety instructor who was loading for younger folks in the area. Made me feel like I was contributing to the future regardless of the election. I still have enough for small rifle, large rifle and rifle magnum ammo to last until the next election with my regular shooting. I'm short on pistol primers though and unfortunately it looks like it may stay that way for awhile. Might be a problem when my first pistol suppressor finally gets out of jail.
Hopefully the cyclic crunch will pass and new restrictions won't come into effect to prevent all of us resupplying next year at the latest. As others have said, it pays to stock up when demand ebbs and the opportunity arises.

I stocked up on "just in case" rounds a few years ago. Did some load development and then loaded hundreds of 308 rounds with inexpensive Speer 150's and 180's, both the BTSP and Hot-Cors using LC brass and GM210's, and keep them stored in metal ammo boxes. Went ahead and did a lot of probably unnecessary prep on the brass, but in a pinch I could pull the Speers and reload with better bullets. But it's nice to have a large stock of backup rounds. Feels like insurance. So now I continue along with my normal shooting routine but I am mindful of my supply of primers. They are slowly dwindling. That is the only thing that bothers me.

I'm proceeding with restraint as it is difficult not looking for the next load that puts a smile on my face. Always have ample supply but never enough. If we can get this SCOTUS in, the election will not be as critical even tho if the Dems get in it will be a war on 2nd Amendment and shooting sports Make no mistake, these Dems are nuts and with Beto leading Bidens anti gun team, it will get ugly. Come on Trump!

Anyone else getting a bit more conservative with reloading for the time being due to the current political climate? I just passed up Registering for a shooting event Next month because I simply don't want to burn through the components. I'm in "decent" shape with components for now, but I'm reluctant to do any unnecessary testing or recreational shooting for the time being. I have been lucky over the past month to acquire a couple pounds of powder and just scored a box of ELD-Xs for the 6.5s but I'm going to put them on the shelf for now. How 'bout you?
I have gone the other way, burned through 80 rounds of 308 last month and have 50 recharged and ready to go again. Plus I added in some Red Dot for 40 rounds of reduced loads to try. Just finished the 6.5 X 55 Ackley Improved and heading to the range tomorrow with a 100 rounds to do some fire forming and see how the AI prints.
I have not had a problem getting components so far, just ordered more 308 bullets and picked up some H4350 & H4831 at my local gun shop this weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts